Anyone play the Barometer Game?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Anyone play the Barometer Game?

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:16 am

Hunting later this week and was looking at the weather, then was on W Underground and saw the barometric graph. Figured we'd get deer moving on the hurricane Zeta passing by and the following cold front.

Thurs - 85/86, rain, barometer levels-out after a drop and is supposed to begin rising about dusk. Windy from SW

Friday - 10 degrees cooler than Thurs, barometer rising at 45 degree angle all day. Winds calming and will swing from W to NW

Saturday - 5 degrees cooler than Fri, barometer still rising at 45 degree angle until mid day when it levels and starts doing a sideways jog for the next couple of days. Light winds from NE

Will stay on stand all day on Friday - Saturday will stay on stand until noon.

Does anyone follow the barometer - I never have, just saw it and figure it means something but the cold front aspect of it all has my attention more.

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Re: Anyone play the Barometer Game?

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:55 pm

I live by it!! If u watch it you’ll see more deer the higher it is
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:30 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:I live by it!! If u watch it you’ll see more deer the higher it is

You'll see more deer with it high or with it rising? How high would it need to be out how fast does it need to rise? Today I saw multiple deer up and about while driving. I'll make a note of current conditions.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:33 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:I live by it!! If u watch it you’ll see more deer the higher it is

You'll see more deer with it high or with it rising? How high would it need to be out how fast does it need to rise? Today I saw multiple deer up and about while driving. I'll make a note of current conditions.
I’m not sure if it’s the same everywhere but here if it’s over 30 it seems way better. Rising is better unless it’s over 30 then I can’t tell a difference to be honest.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:39 am

Starting at 29.70 on Thursday at 1800 hrs and ending at 30.27 on Saturday at 1100 hrs.

Hits 30 at 1100 hrs on Friday sideways til about 1700 hrs and then back on the climb.

Just never paid much attention before. Gonna have to start correlating things. Feeling good about the cold front anyway.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:49 am

Rich M wrote:Starting at 29.70 on Thursday at 1800 hrs and ending at 30.27 on Saturday at 1100 hrs.

Hits 30 at 1100 hrs on Friday sideways til about 1700 hrs and then back on the climb.

Just never paid much attention before. Gonna have to start correlating things. Feeling good about the cold front anyway.

I have been watching the forecast for mid FL and it has been changing the last few days and looking killer. I don’t follow the barometer but I really do well on sunny mild days and that is what we have with a small drop in temps Fri-Sun.

Feelin beasty. Even tho this year has not been good to me thus far :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Rich M wrote:Starting at 29.70 on Thursday at 1800 hrs and ending at 30.27 on Saturday at 1100 hrs.

I think if you have the right high or rising barometer and moon phase where it’s overhead/ underfoot, and it’s pre rut or early rut, it has the potential to be one of those magical days in the woods.

Personally, I think it’s a combination of these several factors. It’s more than a coincidence but it’s best when you have all positives.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Ive only payed attention to the wind, cold fronts and bad weather. Maybe i should watch the barometer now also.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:17 am

I think barometric pressure definitely effects deer movement. This weekend looks phenomenal here in the east.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:23 am

I don't really pay a lot of attention to the barometer or do I schedule hunting around it. I just hunt when I can based on my work schedule and everything else and try to make the most of my time I can. I will say though anytime before or after a front seems to be really good for deer movement. After a good rain or snow I try to get to scrape sites also.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:46 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
The Mediocre Hunter wrote:

I’m not sure if it’s the same everywhere but here if it’s over 30 it seems way better. Rising is better unless it’s over 30 then I can’t tell a difference to be honest.

Awesome I'll keep tabs on it from now on. Currently 30.3 and rising. We'll see if I can notch a tag today. Thanks for the reply.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:31 am

I play the thermometer game which I think is related? I see more deer when it's colder in general and big temp drops are even better.

My boss uses some deercast app thing and religiously hunts on the excellent days.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:41 am

I keep close tabs, basically any big weather event it worth keeping an eye on.
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:20 am

Moose wrote:Ive only payed attention to the wind, cold fronts and bad weather. Maybe i should watch the barometer now also.

You already are if you pay attention to cold fronts. A cold front will bring rising pressure. Where I'm at, Saturday has a forecasted high of 47 degrees with a barometric pressure of 29.69 and Sunday a high of 35 degrees and pressure of 30.43.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:27 am

They feed more on a falling barometer because it typically means bad weather coming and they don't know how long it will last. Many times seen deer out in fields well before dark on a falling barometer. So hunt near food. On a higher barometer they are supposed to move around more, but I believe that is within cover. Pressure will affect where and how much.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”