How do I hunt this hilly/lake territory in NC?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
PK_
500 Club

Re: How do I hunt this hilly/lake territory in NC?

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:57 am

That spot in particular has a lot of secondary points. Key in on the ones that are ‘sandwiched’ between two other points or ridges. This is where the wind will swirl on 3 of the 4 major wind directions(if you have a predominant wind direction, keep it in mind as the best points will be predominantly leeward).But find the ones that are kind of out of the way, that you wouldn’t normally walk near if you were simply trying to cover ground. When you find the points that the mature bucks prefer there will be no mistaking it.

Find the cover type that bucks prefer there. It will be something thick like cut overs or young cedars or something like that. If you find a cover type that they really like and it is only in certain places then you can key in on it. Sometimes this method works and in some places not so much.

If I were you I would just strike out and walk thru it all like right now...all the fresh buck sign right now is in their core area bedding/travel. I’m just trying to think of the quickest way for you to gain the intel you need. If you try to methodically Hunt your way thru all those points you will never get thru them all and may never get to the good stuff...

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:15 am

PK_ wrote:That spot in particular has a lot of secondary points. Key in on the ones that are ‘sandwiched’ between two other points or ridges. This is where the wind will swirl on 3 of the 4 major wind directions(if you have a predominant wind direction, keep it in mind as the best points will be predominantly leeward).But find the ones that are kind of out of the way, that you wouldn’t normally walk near if you were simply trying to cover ground. When you find the points that the mature bucks prefer there will be no mistaking it.

Find the cover type that bucks prefer there. It will be something thick like cut overs or young cedars or something like that. If you find a cover type that they really like and it is only in certain places then you can key in on it. Sometimes this method works and in some places not so much.

If I were you I would just strike out and walk thru it all like right now...all the fresh buck sign right now is in their core area bedding/travel. I’m just trying to think of the quickest way for you to gain the intel you need. If you try to methodically Hunt your way thru all those points you will never get thru them all and may never get to the good stuff...

So you are saying like these spots in this photo in red? You think I should just spend a whole day walking/scouting this entire place/these locations and see what I can find?

Will they actually want to bed that far back on a peninsula like this?

Should I back off for a certain amount of time afterward?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randtheman
Facebook: Randy Jackson

Unread postby Randtheman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:53 am

I live not far north of there and I've hunted the far north side of this lake for the last 3 seasons and the surrounding public land. Over the past year, I've focused primarily on finding the thickest, nastiest terrain and diversity... then looking at topography. That's just how I approach it...I still have a lot to learn so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you aren't already listening to The Southern Outdoorsman Podcast, I would recommend starting at episode 116 and just start listening to every episode up to current date. That is where I have learned the most over the last year and a half.

It's nice to see there are a few beasts in the area.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Thomasj1107 wrote:
PK_ wrote:That spot in particular has a lot of secondary points. Key in on the ones that are ‘sandwiched’ between two other points or ridges. This is where the wind will swirl on 3 of the 4 major wind directions(if you have a predominant wind direction, keep it in mind as the best points will be predominantly leeward).But find the ones that are kind of out of the way, that you wouldn’t normally walk near if you were simply trying to cover ground. When you find the points that the mature bucks prefer there will be no mistaking it.

So you are saying like these spots in this photo in red? You think I should just spend a whole day walking/scouting this entire place/these locations and see what I can find?

Will they actually want to bed that far back on a peninsula like this?
Should I back off for a certain amount of time afterward?

I would assume so. The area furthest from the road access probably has less pressure. Most people don't want to walk that far, and only a handful would access by boat. Since your only way of access is walking in, I would go as far as I can in there. I haven't ever driven to that part and I dont know how far the path you can drive down, but your area of interest is about a mile from the end of that path. It's hard to tell all thats going on from OnX. I think your best bet is to get boots on the ground and approach the points you've highlighted.

I wouldn't worry about preserving the area. Muzzeloader opens up in that county this saturday and then rifle 2 weeks later. That place is going to have people all over it. Better hit it now.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:19 am

You can’t drive down the path at all. To walk from the parking area to the end of the peninsula is about 3 miles. Anyone who has looked at my last pic, do the spots highlighted in red look like they would be where I would expect bucks to bed?
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:40 am

Think like a deer. They aren't worried about distance,water or most other things we think. Id check your spots. Think wind and find the most impossible, the king lives in the safest spot. How&where hunters access? Let someone run him to you or wait on rut. Again he smells 1st.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:08 am

For morning hunts, until I have access to a boat.... since I have to walk from the north side to the south to get to the further points of the peninsula, if I walk past deer on their way back to bed on the south portion, will they still continue south back to bed if I’ve already passed them?
green&orange

Unread postby green&orange » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:11 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Hill country lake terrain is by far my favorite. Water allows flawless entry and points of long coves or slews are cash money during the rut. The longer the better. Appears u have a dynamite set up if u play your cards right

Can you please expand on the "points of long coves or slews are cash money during the rut"? I hunt similar terrain and am interested in your thoughts on this. How are the bucks using the long coves during the rut - specifically?

Thanks in advance.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:28 am

green&orange wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Hill country lake terrain is by far my favorite. Water allows flawless entry and points of long coves or slews are cash money during the rut. The longer the better. Appears u have a dynamite set up if u play your cards right

Can you please expand on the "points of long coves or slews are cash money during the rut"? I hunt similar terrain and am interested in your thoughts on this. How are the bucks using the long coves during the rut - specifically?

Thanks in advance.

Sure, would like to start by saying I’m strictly talking rut here and the longer the cove/slew the better. For sake of explanation let’s say you a got a long cove cutting into the woods running north/south. Any deer traveling East/west has 2 choices. Swim or angle there travel around the end of that Cove. Typically will find numerous trails coming together there b4 once again spreading out going there own way. If not already a scrape there this is a great spot to put a moc scrape.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:45 am

Thomasj1107, I'm gonna try to hit an area east of there across the lake later this eveing. First one to kill a buck on this game land gets bragging rights. NC public land challenge starts now! Don't worry, I'll leave your peninsula alone.
green&orange

Unread postby green&orange » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:49 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
green&orange wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Sure, would like to start by saying I’m strictly talking rut here and the longer the cove/slew the better. For sake of explanation let’s say you a got a long cove cutting into the woods running north/south. Any deer traveling East/west has 2 choices. Swim or angle there travel around the end of that Cove. Typically will find numerous trails coming together there b4 once again spreading out going there own way. If not already a scrape there this is a great spot to put a moc scrape.

Thank you. Something I will definitely check out. Appreciate the clarification.
Randtheman
Facebook: Randy Jackson

Unread postby Randtheman » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:58 am

MrT wrote:Thomasj1107, I'm gonna try to hit an area east of there across the lake later this eveing. First one to kill a buck on this game land gets bragging rights. NC public land challenge starts now! Don't worry, I'll leave your peninsula alone.

I want in on this too, but I'll be at Falls.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 am

MrT wrote:Thomasj1107, I'm gonna try to hit an area east of there across the lake later this eveing. First one to kill a buck on this game land gets bragging rights. NC public land challenge starts now! Don't worry, I'll leave your peninsula alone.

Haha deal! Thanks for the help. Hope we both put one down at the same time!
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:31 am

Randtheman wrote:

I want in on this too, but I'll be at Falls.

Heck yeah! Honestly, I probably won't touch that area once rifle comes in but I'm going to try to hit it a few times over the next couple of weeks. I bounce around between different public areas.
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:46 am

So for the sake of saving time later on... if I were to scout and find buck sign in certain spots, say the colors on this picture (with yellow being the main trail)... how would I get in to hunt these different colors where they bed with the wind to their back presumably? I am asking as if I only have land access and cannot use a boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”