Any pointers ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter20

Any pointers ?

Unread postby Bowhunter20 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:31 am

I'm trying to right some tips and pointers and stuff I should know about deer y'all got anything to help for me to write in my notebook ? I'm trying to gain some knowledge and just know more stuff

SneakyHunter

Re: Any pointers ?

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:01 am

Read the forum. Everything you need to know was already written by someone else.
Bowhunter20

Unread postby Bowhunter20 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:08 am

I know that I was just hoping for like just some little tips or anything I don't know what I'm looking for
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:42 am

Best tip I could give you is just get out there and start learning. There are really no short cuts. If there was one tip I could give you .

Once you get on good sign. Remember that spot and check it same time next year. Make a note of weather conditions at that time too.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
PredatoronthePrairie

Unread postby PredatoronthePrairie » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:59 am

Wish someone would of told me these 2 things when I first started.

Forget about scent control and play the wind and thermals.

If your still looking for your first.
Shoot the first buck that gives you a decent crack.
I held out for a magazine depicted "good one" for many years, passing up nice bucks in the meantime. My learning cure remained stagnant till I put the first one down, then a second the following year, thats when I started asking why, not how. Theres alot to learn on the shot sequence/timing/execution alone that only improves with putting deer down.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:13 am

for just deer and buck hunting in general, my main rules of thumb are:

1. Have fun/enjoy it. if this criteria is not met, I should not be out hunting.
2. Don't expect to kill a deer or buck standing in a spot where I or other people walk normally or have walked really recently. Anywhere people don't walk has potential for killing something.
3. Sit still, be quiet. I think this is a very underrated skill. Now i am not opposed to making a bunch of noise while walking in and I am aware of how much noise and movement you can get away with while moving to and from spots but once i am in killing position its time to be still/quiet.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:13 am

A lot of frustration comes with hunting especially bow hunting. Learn to accept it and do not let it get to you. Keep positive and positive things will come. It can be terribly frustrating not seeing deer or hunting public and having others walk in on you. Learn to enjoy the journey and it will be extremely rewarding
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:33 am

You have to trust what the woods is telling you now, not the past.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:53 am

Stop watching the outdoor network and if you see a product being pimped by someone on tv, 99% chance is junk and wont do anything for you.

Have fun, thick outside the box, work hard, take great notes and lots of pics, dont give up it's going to be hard and long row to hoe, dont let a 2 year old 8 point walk if you haven't ever killed anything.

Dont be afraid too kill does.

Develop a routine on how you pack in, set up, pack out, everything has a place and everything in its place.

Tree stands are tools, not a fashion statement, use the setup that's best for the types of trees your hunting from.

Always wear your safety harness and stay hooked up from the ground until back down on the ground.

Dont be afraid to be aggressive.

Fast is loud and slow is quiet, ain't no race points to be won going up a tree.

Keep your bow tuned and practice,practice,practice.

Hope this helps sir.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:31 pm

I would assume you are obviously new to hunting but also quite possibly young.

If I were to give advice to new hunter, particularly a young hunter, I would advise you spend a lot of time in the woods and make hunting friends. Keep an open mind as deer are a diverse species and half of what you read isn’t going to always entirely apply to where you are hunting. The biggest piece of advice I would give you is don’t get too caught up in it. Enjoy it. Don’t waste your life away only focusing on deer. Killing a big deer is kind of meaningful, but also kind of meaningless as well. Lots of people do it and lots of people do it without trying very hard to do it. I actually quit hunting when I killed my biggest one for a while. I spent a lot of time obsessing over something that wasn’t that big of a deal. Take the TV shows and advertisements lightly but also take this forum lightly at times as well. If you are lucky enough to have a 2000 acre family farm in Iowa to hunt (I doubt it but if).. screw going into the bedding areas and running the deer onto the neighbors farm. You could be just like the Drurys killing booners every year. Keep the pressure low plant food plots and shoot the deer over them from a box blind that deer hardly ever notice you enter. It’s a complete guessing game out there in the hunting world and all you gotta do is learn what applies where and what you enjoy doing
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:47 pm

Don’t waste your time hunting on a field edge on public land. It can look really good based on nighttime sign, but the real world is not even close to what you see on tv.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Have fun - it isn't a contest - there should be NO STRESS involved. Breathe out - poosh! Now hunt.

What would have changed how I hunt from day 1 of doing it? Hunt the edges - follow transition zones to the sign.

Scout until you say - OMG, look at this sign! Then hunt. I'd rather hunt once at the right place than 20 times where there are no deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”