Checking cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Entity03xx

Checking cameras

Unread postby Entity03xx » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:17 pm

So this might have been covered already, but reading a thread about how long human stink lasts in the woods, how are you guys checking your cameras? And how long are you waiting before you hunt the area after checking them? Of course this is assuming you run cameras, and they are not cellular.

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Checking cameras

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:11 am

Depends on a lot of things.

I've been doing 1 or 2 things. Not putting cameras where I'd hunt. Example...field edges. I don't care so much spooking deer from that spot. I just wanna get their pictures.

If I do put them in deeper where I might hunt, I put it in early and let it soak until I hunt it.
Entity03xx

Unread postby Entity03xx » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 am

mauser06 wrote:Depends on a lot of things.

I've been doing 1 or 2 things. Not putting cameras where I'd hunt. Example...field edges. I don't care so much spooking deer from that spot. I just wanna get their pictures.

If I do put them in deeper where I might hunt, I put it in early and let it soak until I hunt it.

Right thats what I do. I put them in a few spots and then go to work (I am typically gone for several weeks to months working) and then of course I'd have to check them when I come back at some point and check them. So you're saying hunt it the same time I check?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:08 am

If you're stinking a place up during hunting season, you might as well hunt while you are in there if it's a spot worth hunting.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:09 pm

Whenever I want to but I do think it lowers your chances
bh bowhunter

Unread postby bh bowhunter » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:48 pm

I think that unless it rains, your scent can linger for 3 to 4 days. Once the season starts, I only check cameras when I hunt, unless I'm scouting a new area.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:09 pm

Your scent lingers even in the rain - ever hear about guys saying the tracking dogs can track after a rain - the deer has a better nose.

I'm really eyeing the Cuddelink. Don;t want cell cam but like the idea of interconnected cams - set out 2 or 3 and then check a 4th for the data. That's gonna help me with a buck I know where he lives, just only get 2 entrances before he leaves for good. Want to know if he's there and then shoot him.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:37 pm

mauser06 wrote:Depends on a lot of things.

Same idea to a tee!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:12 pm

I’m a big believer in cams as a useful tool. But people over use them and put too much reliance on them in season. I used to, and probably still do.

There just aren’t safe places to put them. If you have them on food sources and check them often, you will drag scent around and spook deer off of those, which is one of the worst things you can do (you burn out your good food sources, you’re sunk). Put them on scrapes and check them often, you’ll eventually start to wonder where that mature went that was working that scrape line.

I’ve had some experience, but didn’t really put the pieces together completely until listening to guys like Dan and Jeff Sturgis. I’ve noticed the difference.

I try my best now to get them in as early as I can and let them soak as long as I can. I really just want to use them as a database tool for the following year. It’s helped me get close to a lot of good bucks. My biggest ever I noticed two years in a row showed up between September 23-26 in the daylight. I killed that buck on September 25th the following year on the same spot. It can be good intel, and can be useful, but I’ve found the chances of me walking in and checking a cam, seeing a mature buck on it, then getting a crack a that buck immediately after aren’t great. I’m much more likely to get that thing to move out of there when it catches my ground scent at night. Then you’re left hunting a ghost.

As mentioned, it also depends on cam placement and how aggressive you are, but that’s my philosophy. I’ve become obsessively paranoid about burning out mature bucks by leaving ground scent around in season. Unless you can afford an array of cell cams, I think it’s better to stay out. Just me.
Entity03xx

Unread postby Entity03xx » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:21 am

I have 3 regular cameras out on a smaller parcel of family land. Its just travel for the deer, mostly timber with a few pines on it. Everything they want (food cover and so on) isn't on my property. I put them there and leave for work, which jn gone at work for several weeks to months at a time. So im not in there very much at all. So, from what I gather here is, dont bother with them. Or hunt it and check the cameras on my way out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”