2" of rain for marsh hunters before the rut..thoughts?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HEINEN86

2" of rain for marsh hunters before the rut..thoughts?

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:35 am

My first year hunting a marsh during the rut...was pumped. Now I see up to 2 inches of rain for the area tonight.....will this ruin the area? I'm in the Pipe area in Fond du Lac...the water levels have been down since August since we've been in a decent drought since then. Any experienced marsh hunters have any thoughts? Would this rain even bother you or worry you? Should mention that the south branch of the Manitowoc river snakes along the border of my property....

This was last Thursday...
https://youtu.be/G_1L3yjt5Rw

Dewey

Re: 2" of rain for marsh hunters before the rut..thoughts?

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:04 am

Doesn’t bother me at all. It’s been really dry and it takes a lot of rain to saturate the dry peat soil before water levels start rising. At this point it will take way more than 2” to make any difference. Might be temporary wet spots but wetlands do a great job sucking up that water.

Last year water levels were high already heading into the season and then we go dumped on late September into October with record rainfall. The water levels had nowhere to go but up. One of the wettest seasons I have seen in a LONG time.
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks so much for easing my mind!

Dewey wrote:Doesn’t bother me at all. It’s been really dry and it takes a lot of rain to saturate the dry peat soil before water levels start rising. At this point it will take way more than 2” to make any difference. Might be temporary wet spots but wetlands do a great job sucking up that water.

Last year water levels were high already heading into the season and then we go dumped on late September into October with record rainfall. The water levels had nowhere to go but up. One of the wettest seasons I have seen in a LONG time.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:43 am

HEINEN86 wrote:My first year hunting a marsh during the rut...was pumped. Now I see up to 2 inches of rain for the area tonight.....will this ruin the area? I'm in the Pipe area in Fond du Lac...the water levels have been down since August since we've been in a decent drought since then. Any experienced marsh hunters have any thoughts? Would this rain even bother you or worry you? Should mention that the south branch of the Manitowoc river snakes along the border of my property....

Im in the same area. Roughly 15 minute drive from you. Water levels are way down compared to the past two years when it was mainly flooded. I think you are good to go yet. Its looking a lot closer to usual levels than the past two years.
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:51 pm

HuntingParadise wrote:
HEINEN86 wrote:My first year hunting a marsh during the rut...was pumped. Now I see up to 2 inches of rain for the area tonight.....will this ruin the area? I'm in the Pipe area in Fond du Lac...the water levels have been down since August since we've been in a decent drought since then. Any experienced marsh hunters have any thoughts? Would this rain even bother you or worry you? Should mention that the south branch of the Manitowoc river snakes along the border of my property....

Im in the same area. Roughly 15 minute drive from you. Water levels are way down compared to the past two years when it was mainly flooded. I think you are good to go yet. Its looking a lot closer to usual levels than the past two years.

Thanks man! Feeling good about it. And the rain isn't as bad as predicted so far
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:14 pm

I walk through a swamp to get to one of my spots. Theres a creek that drains into a pond and you rarely can walk near it without going through... last two years I haven't been able to cross the creek without making some type of bridge. This year I can get across it. We got some decent rain last week and the swamp filled a bit but I still walked through it fine.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:43 pm

I for one am glad there is going to be rain. The marshes are too accessible at the moment for people and predators. I need to get on and kill a big one here in SE WI before the BBSK returns.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:07 pm

Autiger wrote:I for one am glad there is going to be rain. The marshes are too accessible at the moment for people and predators. I need to get on and kill a big one here in SE WI before the BBSK returns.

I agree. Seeing human tracks in places I haven’t seen them for years. Another problem is dry marshes create so many more bedding opportunities for bucks. I’m finding beds in the middle of large expanses of cattails that were under at least 18” of water at this time last year. Real common in very dry years. High water is so much more predictable.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Yeah, it’s actually better IMHO for stuff that was scouted in the winter/spring of the last couple of years when there was a lot of water. Puts those areas back into play when they might not have been with tons of other dry options. Even stuff from up to April/May because the water was a lot higher then than just prior to this rain. Some stuff I scouted took hip boots to reach this spring, but was beat down with boots about three weeks ago because there was only a couple inches of water.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”