Tracking blood in heavy rain

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Tracking blood in heavy rain

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:47 am

Gun hunting in heavy rain is one thing, bow hunting in a downpour usually results in a broken heart as best case scenario. If I really wanted to be out there then I would scout my tail off to find the best spot and be ready for action as soon as the rain stops. But that’s just me, live an learn.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:03 am

Ack wrote:Back in the day bow hunters actually took incoming bad weather into consideration before heading out. These days I don’t think people care....they just want to hunt every minute possible. And while dogs can get on blood/trail after a little rain, heavy rain after a marginal shot typically doesn’t end well. Personally I’d rather scout with heavy rain in the immediate forecast.

Agreed, was a little too casual with my dog comment earlier in the thread.
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:12 am

I will typically try to avoid hunting in the heavy rain. I just shot a small buck on some public last Saturday night and made a liver shot but also got some gut. I left it over night but it rained heavy. Went back to track the next morning, most of the blood was washed away but was able to follow some of it for 100 yards and lost it again. Ended up grid searching and eventually found it. To many negatives for me to hunt rain consistently with a bow.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:31 am

I'd plan to do a round of trail cam checks if that were in my forecast.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”