Bucks are... different.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Bucks are... different.

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:39 pm

I have heard over and over again how “bucks are a different animal” and I just never got it.

I have been noticing that when I go into some of my set-ups, the ones just to see deer, not specifically for bucks, that the does tend to follow the script. But the bucks do the exact opposite.

I go in and set up to see “deer” and often times they do exactly as planned. Go by me like I set up for, where I expect, ect...

However, when I DO see a buck in those set-ups. They do the opposite of every other deer....

They come in from the wrong way, Or they walk perpendicular to the doe trails. They walk by at 3pm. Or they use terrain in a completely unexpected way.

On the flip side, when I set up for a buck, I usually (just being honest) see nothing.

But, if I do see a buck and he does what I planned.... and if I do happen to see bonus deer. They are usually doing what I expected too.

Anyone else notice that? Or been in that “phase” of hunting?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Bucks are... different.

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:44 pm

You are right on. Bucks act and hang diff than does.

It is part of the difficulty for many guys in hunting bucks successfully, gotta be able to hunt without doing what it takes to just see any deer. Think that's why it is such a diff transition - the mind is saying - hey, if you do this you'll see deer.

And then you go and set up for a buck and you see few or none. So there is little reward for the extra effort - until you get a good one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”