Ohio guidance?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Ohio guidance?

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:45 pm

So my PA tag is filled.

I'm on vacation till Monday. I go back to work till the 4th. I'm back off the 5-15th. The. Back to work....then have another vacation which I believe lines up with Ohio's gun season.

Today I drove to public in the NE. I didn't have high hopes considering it's all situated a short drive from Cleveland and Akron...and it's all pretty small....and it's about the only public around.

Raining and a Monday and every parking spot had atleast a vehicle in it. I was expecting pressure but man! I drove all day. Hiked 1 spot that noone was parked at and it looked like a used sporting goods store. Stands, cameras, and mineral rocks. (Which I believe is illegal)

So day tripping from home seems to be a wash.

Weather heats up and cools back down this weekend.

My thoughts are to now drive down to SE Ohio on Friday morning. Scout/hunt Fri evening, Saturday and Sunday morning. Drive home...go back to work. Mostly intel gathering....

Then my Nov vacation, go down there for a week or so. Or make 2 trips...couple days come home and go back for a couple more...see what the weather does and such.

Then go back down in gun season need be.

Any pointers? Places to avoid? Places to take a look at? I'm not looking for the easy button. But I'd like to avoid completely wasted days like today. I've been looking at maps and really a lot of it all looks the same. Lots of small hill terrain. Gotta play with google earth and see if I can see what the foliage is and such.

Just looking for some guidance if anyone has any. Feel free to send me a message.

Thanx!

ODH
500 Club

Re: Ohio guidance?

Unread postby ODH » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:29 pm

sent you a message
amarty734

Unread postby amarty734 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:09 pm

I’m looking for somebody to hunt SE Ohio with Nov 4-8 let me know if you’re interested
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:17 pm

Would definitely be nice to have a partner! Unfortunately, I probably won't be back till the 7th 8th or 9th. Haven't figured out the next trip. I know I'm off the 5-15th. I'd like to capture weekdays more than the weekends.

I put eyes one 2 great bucks today. 1 alive crossing the road. Another dandy 10 point killed by a hunter.
amarty734

Unread postby amarty734 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:15 am

Goodluck man! let me know if you end up being around
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:16 am

Lots of great Public in SE Ohio. Hilly and remote if you can stand some hikes. Wayne National Forest offers a lot of acres. I have hunted and killed ther but you will see a bunch of hunters during the rut. My opinion is pressure will thin out in the 3rd week of Nov.

I live and hunt a lot in NE Ohio. It’s harder to get away from hunters as the Public chunks are much smaller. My best luck there has been in overlooked areas close to roads and in hard to access spots. Also love spots near non hunter human activity and near private borders.

I also have flexible vacation and wait for good cold fronts and love mid week hunts, Monday hunts etc.

The key is to go where others are not and hunt when they aren’t hunting.

Finally food, food, food. Find the food and the does and you will find bucks.

Good luck!!
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm

Amarty, thanx! Good luck to you too! I'm thinking driving down the 7th and tentatively staying till the 13th. Looked at the schedule today....if I need to, I can extend it a couple days. Probably don't absolutely HAVE to be back to work till the 18th. Officially off till the 16th.

OHnontypical, thanx! I feel like I have a game plan. That may or may not goto crap. Lol. Figuring drive down Friday. Hopefully get there in time to atleast do some driving and see where pressure is/isn't. Honestly, not planning to hunt Saturday... atleast not the morning...from a stand. Again, check pressure....find somewhere that show potential and sneak through and see what it's looking like and take it from there.

Going down Friday to Friday makes sense to me. I noticed this Sunday, pressure died a LOT. Like a lot of guys probably started their way home. That'll give me a couple days to observe the heaviest pressure and adapt to it. Then will give me 4-5 good days when pressure should be lighter than weekends.

Driving around this weekend, pressure was there....but it wasn't horrible. I talked to a couple guys and they said its usually not horrible. Occasionally a hunt will go sideways cause someone walks in under you but it's usually not a problem. I did a good bit of research trying to find something that wasn't so talked about. Not on here...not on YouTube...not on google. Chatter is very minimal. I looked at a few other places and they don't offer the same cover...or ability to get so far from roads/trails. I think it really lines up to great potential.....but we'll see. The guys I talked to have personally taken a few 160-180 class deer out of there in the 5 1/2 seasons they've hunted it and said that those size deer are taken every year in there....

I have a spot that was TORE up with sign. Scrapes and rubs and big tracks like a deer farm. Seriously out of control. Saddle, couple different transitions, and oaks that were raining acorns. Problem is, I found 2 different trail cams up there. Judging by them, I'd say 2 different hunters. Now, to me, public land is public land and cameras and stands don't necessarily reserve an area. One cell cam honestly looked abandoned. There's 1 parking spot they'd access from. If there isn't a truck there, I feel like I gotta try it just based on the sign. I have a few spots marked that'll likely keep me in the game if they do have that particular spot pressured. Who knows...they could be tagged out. They could be gun hunters. They might have found something better..maybe that spot will go cold before I'm back down there.

I have another area of interest. I have 3 or 4 promising looking ridges. Same kinda thing. Lots of transitions...what looks to be some several year old cuts...pipelines...bigger timbers...bottoms, cuts, points and saddles. I have a ton of pins dropped. Basically from about a mile to 2.5mi from my access point. Plan there will be hump my gear in. Scout my way in starting with my closest ridge and markers. Press on till it's what I wanna hunt. Leave my gear...either in the tree or near my access. If not left in a tree, pick it up the next day and press on deeper.

I don't look for it to be easy. I fully expect to get my but whooped by the hills and the deer. But, I want to learn to get on deer so I can make this an annual event.

I also have the Ohio gun season off incase I gotta go in for revenge!

I'm super fired up. 8 more shifts..... literally can't wait to get back down there and see what happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”