Guys with spots near the highway

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Guys with spots near the highway

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:30 pm

How do you guys mentally do it? I have a spot that's near the highway and the car noise gets to be to much for me. Just not enjoyable.

briar
500 Club

Re: Guys with spots near the highway

Unread postby briar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:55 pm

I live within 5 miles of 2 major innerstates. Grew up in the burbs. Car noise is just part of my day.. just like the deer. I can't hear them as well, but they can't hear me as well
Ragepassthru

Unread postby Ragepassthru » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 pm

I have a spot on the edge of a field that is about 22 yards from Interstate 70. Like mentioned above, I don't hear the deer coming, but they don't hear me either. There's consistently deer in this field. It's just a matter of learning to tune it out
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:33 am

One of my spots in close to a state highway. Funny thing is as soon I think I hear a deer coming from afar a bunch cars and trucks have to go by lol.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:36 am

I hunted a spot that was about 250 yards from a busy 2 lane hwy. It was relatively quiet in the middle of the day (except semi's) but morning and evening commuter traffic were the worse. Completely destroyed any sense of solitude and tranquility in the woods. I did kill a pile of deer at that spot though so... *shrug*
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:09 am

Not for me. I tried it a few times and saw bucks but didn’t enjoy it at all. I don’t wanna kill a buck that bad. Plenty of other places to get the solitude I enjoy and still see plenty of good bucks.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:54 am

At this point on my journey to becoming a big buck hunter, I've got to go where I can find bucks. Next to highways is definitely not as enjoyable as sitting in the middle of a deep forest. I expect once I have a handful of bucks skulls on the wall, I'll focus on spots that are more conducive to solitude.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:05 am

I haven't found much spots like that in the areas I hunt. I did find one once between a 4 lane interstate and a train track.

Only took 2 hunts too figure out, that buck was never going to be big enough for me to want to hunt him there lol.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 am

Sunday morning I was hunting over 5 miles from a major highway. It got real quiet in the swamp and I could hear the traffic plain has day. The wind was blowing from that way must of had something to do with it. Couldn’t believe it would travel that far
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:40 am

I hunt a little patch of woods in a marsh literally right next to a country road that's well used....depending on wind sometimes you don't hear the car until its past you. My stand is maybe 60 yds in from road......some cool things I saw instantly scouting in February. You just kinda learn to drown it out. Sometimes you just have to appreciate that little spot and be glad you have the opportunity to hunt it. You never know...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:28 am

I’ve sat a few spots like this. Some right off a major highway, others off a busy rural 2 lane. It gets interesting when a deer crosses the road you can’t see, but you hear the tires squealing when they try to avoid the deer. :mrgreen:
HEINEN86

Unread postby HEINEN86 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am

mag1 wrote:I’ve sat a few spots like this. Some right off a major highway, others off a busy rural 2 lane. It gets interesting when a deer crosses the road you can’t see, but you hear the tires squealing when they try to avoid the deer. :mrgreen:

Lol. My first night I hunted it this season in September I watched a car hit the brakes on the bridge....deer must have been cruising along the river.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:00 pm

I strictly deer hunt in northern WI even though I live 2-3 hours away from where I hunt. I pretty much only Hunt remote spots. I am less interested in the deer as I am the adventure, quietness, solitude. If there was a big buck that was hanging out near the road that I knew of, I guess I would hunt there, but would do so almost reluctantly!

I have access to a 400 acre wooded/farm property that only one other guy (my bro in law) can hunt, and he shoots a beauty every year. He doesn’t understand why I won’t hunt with him! I tell him that if I hunted there, I would not value hunting “up north” and I would lose something that I LOVE (solitude and the grind). Maybe he will understand someday, maybe not.

We all have different things we like, different work and family schedules, etc and there is nothing wrong with that. To each their own. Good luck to all you highway workers!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:51 pm

I hunt a spot near a highway, and I hear ya on the noise. Doesn’t bother me at all most of the time, but there are times when a piped out truck will come by and that gets annoying (but that’s annoying anywhere, anytime). I also hunt Ag country. A lot of noise going on this time of year. A lot of big soybean and corn fed bucks come along with it though. Wouldn’t trade it for the silence of the north woods and no booners. To each their own, but I hunt to kill not meditate. I’d hunt under an overpass if there was a 150”+ bedding there.

Gotta think of the advantage. It can be easier to sneak in and out when you have a little background noise coming by occasionally.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:07 am

If you think a highway is loud, try hunting near a racetrack. I was 4-5 miles away from one hunting and it was louder than the concrete highway that was a half mile away.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”