Saddle platform

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tydaniel

Saddle platform

Unread postby Tydaniel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:12 pm

So apparently the saddle scene has exploded because everybody is sold out or on backorder for platforms. I know I can just use screw in steps if necessary but I would really prefer a platform. Does anybody have any suggestions? Most seem to be 3 weeks out of shipping and by then I might as well wait and get them in the off-season.

Nelson87
500 Club

Re: Saddle platform

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Tydaniel wrote:So apparently the saddle scene has exploded because everybody is sold out or on backorder for platforms. I know I can just use screw in steps if necessary but I would really prefer a platform. Does anybody have any suggestions? Most seem to be 3 weeks out of shipping and by then I might as well wait and get them in the off-season.

Watch the classifieds on saddle hunter. You could post a want to buy on there if you become a paying member.
kher

Unread postby kher » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:03 am

cut up your stand and make your DIY platform
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:20 am

I bought aluminum square tubing modified my lonewolf seat onto it.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am

I use the lone wolf hand climber seat portion for my climbing method and my platform. It weighs 4 pounds, my saddle weighs 2. It has been a game changer for me so far this year. I'm walking in further and getting up the trees quicker and easier.
what one man can do another can do
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:31 am

I used screw in steps for a while before I got a platform. I got used to them pretty quickly and they aren't too bad at all.
johnsoninc86

Unread postby johnsoninc86 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:49 am

I use a wild edge step with a piece of good 3/4" plywood cut to slide into the step. I put some rubber traction mat on it and it works good. Cost was minimal since I already had the steps.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 am

Personally I thought if I’m going to carry a saddle and a platform I’ll just take a stand in. Now, I have seen a lot of great little platforms guys are coming up with. I’m just lazy in that regard. I bolted a piece of aluminum flat stock on the top step of my top stick. Cut some serrations in it with a saws all for traction. If I’m in smaller trees like the one in this pic I can lean or squat and pivot to shoot around the whole tree. In bigger trees I take a screw in step and pop it in angling off the side a bit to help me pivot around the tree. I’m thinking of popping a long bolt in each wing to use for leverage to pivot around. Not sure though.

Quite often I’m not worried about shooting around the whole tree because the conifers are so thick I’m only gonna have a couple windows one way unless I take a pole saw with me :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”