Are some spots good, but just too hard to hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Are some spots good, but just too hard to hunt?

Unread postby briar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:49 am

I have a smallish spot close to home. Big cornfield to the north, bordered by a major road. To the east is a major interstate. To the south is a giant bedding area (prob 50 acres) 95% head high brush, little trees and thicket. Beyond that is where you can get in by houses and the west edge is another road.

There are very few trees that get you above brush height level, no matter what way the wind blows your hitting the bedding of some deer, and your tree selection allows you to have very few choices. Ground hunting is impossible because you can't see 5 feet.

Do you just pick an available tree, throw a sit at it and hope for the best. There are a lot of deer in there, good sign, the access either has your scent blowing into the bedding OR blowing yo your shot spots once set up.

I hunted a small strip of woods near the highway on Saturday, but the deer moved late. On my way out with the bedding field on my left and corn on my right I was bouncing deer all over. They were laying 5 yards into the bedding and didn't bust til I was on top of them.

Any ideas?

muddy

Re: Are some spots good, but just too hard to hunt?

Unread postby muddy » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:08 am

Can you take a small step ladder in and use it to get yourself above the brush in a better spot? If you went whole hog you could use 2 small ladders and a 2x10 between them to stand on. The ladders would allow you to be where you need to be and "prairie dog" up to look now and then. Obviously this is a set up you'd end up leaving out there because no one is dumb enough to carry that much in for a set up.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:09 am

Would a step ladder help? Spots like this are too tempting to me, and I get it, the access is tough and there are no good trees where you need to be. Gotta get creative!
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:17 am

muddy wrote:Can you take a small step ladder in and use it to get yourself above the brush in a better spot? If you went whole hog you could use 2 small ladders and a 2x10 between them to stand on. The ladders would allow you to be where you need to be and "prairie dog" up to look now and then. Obviously this is a set up you'd end up leaving out there because no one is dumb enough to carry that much in for a set up.

Beat me to it.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:48 am

Had a situation somewhat similar to this once. Not quite head high brush and grass. I picked the trail with the biggest fresh tracks leading to a pear tree eat up with scrapes. I cut and stomped down 2 15 yard lanes to the trail in which to shoot the buck. First night he came through right at dark and the rest is 167 inches of history. My brother thought I was crazy but it worked.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:59 am

I have two spots with trees that will work, but the wind is real iffy especially since deer can be about anywhere. One is what i would describe is a pocket in the brush. Maybe a 15 yard half moon shape from the tree...the other is a tree I prepped years ago when a quad trail was made in the brush. At least they are options.

It just seems worth hunting and its literally a mile from my place. Thanks guys!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”