When do you jump properties in the rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

When do you jump properties in the rut?

Unread postby SEOHBB » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:28 pm

I have access to multiple properties this coming first wk of november. 4 of them ive never stepped foot on but all look excellent and there is no pressure unless there are trespassers. One of which I saw the biggest buck ive ever seen while back roading many years ago. Im curious how many days you guys will throw at a certain property. I live out of state and cant run cams so it will be going in blind each day.

Would anyone reccomend moving throughout the day or try to sit a funnel all day?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: When do you jump properties in the rut?

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:09 pm

Without a history on the properties, it is hard to tell. Easier when you don;t have 4 properties to worry about and wonder if "el macho" is on.

Going in blind, I'd pick the area with the most deer or best feed/cover/funnel and go in at first light to aid in tree selection and give it a day - do an observation sit and then get your but over to where you see the buck movement as soon as you figure it out. If a day doesn't show you what you want, on to the next.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:26 am

I’d be looking for the freshest sign and move if it isn’t there. I’d also bring cameras and let them sit and check them after the season to see when each areas got hot for future seasons.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:06 am

Hunt the one with sign. I sit all day a lot in rut. If I don’t see anything by 1pm I’ll move. Or if you observe something in morning out of your position don’t be afraid to move
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:34 am

No history makes thing tough. For myself if I know a big buck I’m interested in has a fancy for a particular property up to this part of the season. I would start there during final days of pre rut- first week of rut. Then I would move to the property that allows for the longest cruising without being cut off by roads or vast open areas. Would find a good squeeze that forces Atleast 4 heavy trails and let it ride.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:43 am

I should of said the the one with sign and the right habitat for daylight movement during the middle of the day. In Michigan you won’t see a shooter buck mid day without the proper habitat because of pressure. The rut is my favorite time to hunt. Good luck

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”