Spooked a Doe...stay or go home?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Newff

Spooked a Doe...stay or go home?

Unread postby Newff » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm

So tonight was my first night that I hunted with my bow. I went to a spot I've never been and once in there there wasn't much cover and I was hunting from the ground...haven't managed to buy a stand yet or a blind. So I said screw it and found a few trees to hide behind. After waiting an hour I spotted a Doe about 20 yards away. I kinda bent to get my bow and he turned and looked at me...there was almost no wind and it was very quiet. I stayed bent and didn't want to pop back up but it got to the point my legs were shaking and sore...just giving out on me so I had to stand.

As soon as I did he blew at me and took off. Then stopped, blew again and and went away. At this point there was still 1.5 to 2 hours until dark.

When this happens is the spot ruined for the rest of the night? Do the other Deer around hear him blow and know to avoid there? Or will Deer maybe still come into the area? What about the next day? Good to go back?

Bperdue21

Re: Spooked a Doe...stay or go home?

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:01 pm

Deer will still come through. I would probably stick it out.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:05 pm

If I leavt are gave up on a spot because a doe blew at me, I would never hunt are have any more spots to hunt.

I have seen dies lose their kind and stomp, blow and just about acting like a liberal Karen for a hour just because the leaves on the ground moved a certain way.

Go back in and be more prepared to get off a shot next time and kill her and she will never blow at you again.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:31 pm

I would wait! I have had a ton of great hunts after spooking a deer or two.

Make sure to remember what you learned today! Congrats on a cool hunt!
Newff

Unread postby Newff » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Okay, thats what I was hoping to hear. I did stick it out but didn't see anything else. Just getting in there and having the Doe come through was a win to me and a great experience and also taught me that I REALLY need somewhere better to sit to get a shot off.

Going again tomorrow, hopefully I get some action.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:59 pm

I actually killed my second biggest buck shortly after a doe blew at me over and over for what had to be 10 minutes alerting every deer in the area. I’m guessing she was a hot doe because the buck came right in to her snorts with nose to the ground. Didn’t worry him the least bit. I hear does blowing at bucks all the time when they get harassed.

I hear deer blowing all the time at all kinds of things. Squirrels, turkeys, coons and sometimes even other deer......pretty much anything at one time or another. It doesn’t always cause deer to completely clear the area unless they actually smell or see danger. Most times just makes them a bit more alert but they carry on what they were doing with extreme caution.
Cstark001

Unread postby Cstark001 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:57 am

I shot a doe last friday with a small basket rack and 4 other doe close by. Then later another basket and more doe came out. I wouldnt worry about it. I just set a time in my head I'm going to sit to regardless of what happens. You never know what could come out at anytime and wont get one unless you're still out there trying.
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:18 am

Stay! Deer blow all the time at all different things. During the rut I actually had a doe blow near me and a couple minutes later a buck showed up clearly looking for the deer that blew.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:02 am

I agree with everyone and i would stay. Ive had deer blow and come back around to see what spooked them. Ive also had deer blow and spook everything off for the day. 2 hrs left of shooting light i would definitely stay. Your in the game!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:45 am

Dewey wrote:I actually killed my second biggest buck shortly after a doe blew at me over and over for what had to be 10 minutes alerting every deer in the area. I’m guessing she was a hot doe because the buck came right in to her snorts with nose to the ground. Didn’t worry him the least bit. I hear does blowing at bucks all the time when they get harassed.

I hear deer blowing all the time at all kinds of things. Squirrels, turkeys, coons and sometimes even other deer......pretty much anything at one time or another. It doesn’t always cause deer to completely clear the area unless they actually smell or see danger. Most times just makes them a bit more alert but they carry on what they were doing with extreme caution.

This is my experience too.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:22 am

I killed my biggest buck ever a few weeks ago, after a doe had snorted at me a few times.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:06 am

I cannot count the number of times I've been busted by a snorting doe and seen nothing at all afterwards. And I can't remember a time when the opposite happened. I also can't remember a time where I got up and left.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”