Hello from da UP.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Yooper Wood Butcher

Hello from da UP.

Unread postby Yooper Wood Butcher » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Hey everyone, glad to be part of this forum. My name is Andrew and I live in Marquette Co, MI. I'm a carpenter and love where I live, even though it's some pretty hard hunting lol. I grew up down state on the west side of the mitten. The church I attended growing up had a program called "Fellowship of Christian Bow hunters". Now neither of my parents were outdoors people but I had a love for it very early on. My buddy fatty and I started "hunting" with bb guns when we were 8 or so and I got my grandpa's single shot 20g when I was 12. Around that time the men of the church invited me to learn how to shoot a bow with them. I became hooked and started shooting all the time. Eventually my parents got keys to the church so I would snag the keys after school and shoot, (there may of been a few times that i propped open the doors in the gym and hallway so I could take 40 yard shots lol). As I got into my teens I was shooting in the fairs and some tournys, and did pretty well. When I was 15 or so and older guy, Mike, invited me out to my first bow hunting outing. We practiced a bunch from a tree stand and I felt confident in my abilities. Mike was a very good archer and was actually sponsored by various companies (one of them was Wheeler archery who's no longer in buisness I think but I still have the bow he gave me from them). Now this was a while ago so I forget the company and exact equipment he was using during this hunt, but a company sent him a product to use and test out during this season. It was some sort of saddle, but not like I see the ones some of you have. Well we eventually did go hunting. He had permission to park at this farm house and from there we walked for half a mile or so through fields and into the woods. The leaves were down at this time so when we both got up in our trees we could see each other, but we were a ways away. He ended up shooting a nice 8 point but we had talked about waiting for dark to get down. To my surprise another buck (would of been an 8 but had half of his rack broken off) walks under me and I let one fly. I was on fire, I was so happy but mine ended up taking off so we waited till dusk to get down. As we start to get our stuff together to get down I'm watching Mike. I remember seeing him lean back then snap. A clip or buckle broke on Mikes rig and he fell over 20 feet to the ground. I saw the whole thing, got down as soon as I could, and ran over to him. He couldnt speak and was throwing up on himself, later I found out he had vertigo. I ran back to where we parked, had to break into the farmhouse, and call 911. Once the ambulance got to the field I lead them into the woods and got him on the stretcher. It was hard getting him out of there on the stretcher but we did. Something got messed up at the dispatch and since I was a minor my parents were contacted but they told them I was the one that fell. The entire church showed up at the hospital, I saw my mom balling her eyes out and when she saw me she knew it wasnt me that fell, but we both started crying. Mike ended up surviving but had a broken back (I forget what specifically broke). He couldnt walk for a year and had to wear some type of brace that was around his waist and up to his head. After that I stopped bow hunting and for some reason shooting all together. It shook me up bad. That was 15 years ago or so, im 31 now. I came across Dans vids on youtube this summer and he sparked a fire that I forgot I had. I love the outdoors but I forgot how much I love shooting. I'm starting over from scratch, been buying used camo from the thrift store and ground hunting till next year when I can afford to get up in a tree with proper equipment. I'm very thankful to the content that's produced and I'm not sure really what I want, or what im trying, to say, but honestly thank you. Even though I havent gotten a shot on anything yet I have been having such a great time. Dan, you're the man. I look forward to learning from you all and hopefully my next post wont be some super wordy mess, but a pic of my first harvest. Also me and a few guys from the church went back to get our gear, we got Mikes buck and he got it mounted but we wernt able to track mine. Good luck guys and be safe out there

KLEMZ

Re: Hello from da UP.

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Welcome Yooper! Heck of a first post.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Welcome from a NH wood butcher! Dats quite da introduction to bow hunting dere!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:30 pm

Welcome!

I’m Andrew from Delta county. We too ain’t far apart.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:32 am

Welcome to the BEAST!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”