Steep Hills Tightly Spaced

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PS90
Facebook: Parker Simes October 2019

Steep Hills Tightly Spaced

Unread postby PS90 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:11 am

I am new to hunting hill country type topography and an wondering if hills can be to steep and close together for deer to travel and bed on? Here is a topological map of the area I will be focusing on.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Steep Hills Tightly Spaced

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:55 am

Yep and it can make for tough wind conditions too. If you hunt the bottoms try to hunt it w the wind exiting the mouth of the valley. Also use the ditches/cuts between ridges to your advantage. Every spot can be different so check the wind often and note when spots are tough.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:38 am

They cant be too steep. What you've shown there is not steep at all in a lot of the whitetail's range. Nothing I hunt is that flat.

Focus on(in order of importance):
1 - Military crest
2 - Thick back cover
3 - Good visibility below the bedding

And from there figure out where he is feeding first thing when he gets up. Pay attention to scrapes close to bedding. Sign is great, but only if you can relate it back to bedding.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Agree with Ridge Ghost. The steeper the better for big bucks in my opinion, vertical cliffs and boulders mixed in even better. Steeper can limit bedding but that is a good thing. A big buck will lay in that really steep stuff though he just needs a little flat spot that probably will not show up on any topo map.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”