Lost Arrow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

grouser70
Facebook: CHRISTOPHER DEMATTIO

Lost Arrow

Unread postby grouser70 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:53 am

I was hunting with a buddy yesterday. I came out of the woods after dark minus one arrow. My buddy stated I must have had luck. I laughed and said no lost it on my way through the swamp. He stated that he never goes in the swamp. He likes to catch them on the edge before they enter the fields. I laughed again and said that is the difference between shooting does and little bucks and getting a true trophy. Started thinking about how much that trophy has cost me in lost and broken equipment getting into that swamp. Its worth it!

Burningbootleather

Re: Lost Arrow

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:08 am

I’ve lost 4 this year. Two in the same morning and two in the same evening. I am not attempting to find them where Inwas either. The cheap Apex quiver I have is garbage. I think it’s funny they market them to be quiet at the expense of sacrificing the one thing they are designed to do-hold the arrow. If I still shot thicker arrows I’d use my other quiver. It held them TIGHT but it made a little “Donk” noise when taking them out.. big deal. Deer will think it’s a falling acorn at best and it’s no louder than other noises that are inevitable.

My arrows are $15 each and the ram cat heads are about $12ish each so that’s over $100 lost
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am

Dang! U guys must have an impressive wall. I can’t remember loosing a single arrow walking to or from stand in 20+ years.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:26 am

I lost a bunch of arrows and even an entire quiver but luckily found it later. Losing arrows gets expensive. I finally found a good quiver with two solid arrow clips that hold them very securely. Every arrow I lost was after dark. Seems like that’s when I always find the thickest and nastiest arrow grabbing brush around. :doh:
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:46 am

Invest in a Tight Spot quiver. Crank the clamp adjustment screws down and you can really clamp down on those arrows. They won't go anywhere.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:02 pm

Lost an arrow on my last hunt as well. Got tangled and caught in the thick stuff. It happens
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Dang! U guys must have an impressive wall. I can’t remember loosing a single arrow walking to or from stand in 20+ years.

I don’t know what lost arrows has to do with the deer you’ve killed.

But I will say you do sound like a good toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows. Quite possibly even the best toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows I ever did see. If they had a convention for being a good toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows, you’d surely win the number one spot as the best toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows. I could only ever dream of being as good of a toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows as you are.

Man, you’re awesome
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:11 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Invest in a Tight Spot quiver. Crank the clamp adjustment screws down and you can really clamp down on those arrows. They won't go anywhere.

I will be for sure. It’s funny at the bow shop I blew a ton of money and looked at the owner and said “ehh the quiver can’t really matter that much can it?”
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Burningbootleather wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Dang! U guys must have an impressive wall. I can’t remember loosing a single arrow walking to or from stand in 20+ years.

But I will say you do sound like a good toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows. Quite possibly even the best toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows I ever did see. If they had a convention for being a good toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows, you’d surely win the number one spot as the best toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows. I could only ever dream of being as good of a toter of a bow and quiver full of arrows as you are.

Man, you’re awesome

Ha! Nicely played. Wasn’t trying to be a SA. A lot has to do with the area one hunts. Early season I go through some pretty nasty stuff but I put my bow over my head. I also hunt with a light weight stickbow though I don’t see why that would make a difference. Later in the season when just going through standard buckbrush I press my arrow shafts tight against My hip. I’m right handed so I spin the bow in my right hand so the quiver is pressed tight against my thigh. If any arrow drops I will know it. But thank u for the kind words and a very Merry Christmas to u as well.
-John Wayne-
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Burningbootleather wrote:I’ve lost 4 this year. Two in the same morning and two in the same evening. I am not attempting to find them where Inwas either. The cheap Apex quiver I have is garbage. I think it’s funny they market them to be quiet at the expense of sacrificing the one thing they are designed to do-hold the arrow. If I still shot thicker arrows I’d use my other quiver. It held them TIGHT but it made a little “Donk” noise when taking them out.. big deal. Deer will think it’s a falling acorn at best and it’s no louder than other noises that are inevitable.

My arrows are $15 each and the ram cat heads are about $12ish each so that’s over $100 lost

Had the same quiver... lost enough arrows to cover the cost of a better one before I finally upgraded
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:

Man, you’re awesome

Ha! Nicely played. Wasn’t trying to be a SA. A lot has to do with the area one hunts. Early season I go through some pretty nasty stuff but I put my bow over my head. I also hunt with a light weight stickbow though I don’t see why that would make a difference. Later in the season when just going through standard buckbrush I press my arrow shafts tight against My hip. I’m right handed so I spin the bow in my right hand so the quiver is pressed tight against my thigh. If any arrow drops I will know it. But thank u for the kind words and a very Merry Christmas to u as well.

Will the great toter of a bow and arrow full of quivers show us a video of how he totes his arrow and bow full of quivers? Or better yet will you carry my quiver and arrow full of bows for me?

Sorry man I cant help myself. I lost all of the arrows in the same spot. Actually I’m pretty sure I know when the first time. I was carrying over 25lbs in my back pack (maybe we’ll over that idk.. 10 cameras and the normal hunting gear), a summit climber, and in one hand I had my bow.. the other a climbing stick to hang my cameras higher so no one could steal them. It was all over a 170” droptine deer I had randomly show up on my camera. Carrying all of that was not the best idea when going through an overgrown area but the deer is hopefully going to be worth it. He’s not the only 170” deer I have on camera, but put it to you this way-he looks so cool I don’t care about the other one
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:

Man, you’re awesome

Will the great toter of a bow and arrow full of quivers show us a video of how he totes his arrow and bow full of quivers? Or better yet will you carry my quiver and arrow full of bows for me?

Sorry man I cant help myself. I lost all of the arrows in the same spot. Actually I’m pretty sure I know when the first time. I was carrying over 25lbs in my back pack (maybe we’ll over that idk.. 10 cameras and the normal hunting gear), a summit climber, and in one hand I had my bow.. the other a climbing stick to hang my cameras higher so no one could steal them. It was all over a 170” droptine deer I had randomly show up on my camera. Carrying all of that was not the best idea when going through an overgrown area but the deer is hopefully going to be worth it. He’s not the only 170” deer I have on camera, but put it to you this way-he looks so cool I don’t care about the other one

I will tell ya straight up I haven’t ever shot a 170” class buck. But what a blue collar guy does know how to do is take care of his stuff. I still have my lunch money from the 3rd grade. Now if u have a problem with that Pm me. I will tell ya where to find me. Maybe we could work things out. Cheers!
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Easy guys. Time for a group hug.

:romance-grouphug:
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Thats why I carry my quiver on my side, I can feel when it is getting hung up. Losing arrows gets expensive after a while!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 pm

I know this isn’t a quiver topic, but I second Tight Spot. I couldn’t use my same quiver because my new single bevel heads were barely covered by my old one. Quality and security of the quiver and arrows is night and day. Only wish is to be able to mount it upside down.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”