Goat on a rope...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

Re: Goat on a rope...

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:00 am

Why didn't Dan hunt that tree??? And what if Tim did sit that tree and only saw a fawn or missed a big buck or got caught moving and the buck spotted him and spooked??? What would you say then?

This was public land not high fence.
Last edited by john1984 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 am

Dewey wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I will be honest.... If I drove cross country to hunt with Dan I would have scurried up that tree b4 he could finish asking. I love the T-Rex story but in real life it just isn’t the case. Go tie a goat up in coyote or bobcat country and see what happens :lol: Will also say that what is being referred to as a giveme guarantee 7 out of 10 bowhunters would have found a way to screw the pooch.

Respect the decisions made in the hunt, but I would have been in the tree with a blood thirsty smile. I asked a fellow beast to come fishing this spring. I’m not gonna point and say the lake is that way.

Exactly :lol:

If my brother is ever dumb enough to come over and hunt marshes with me I'm going to help him pick a spot that I know will have higher odds of success.

I know the perfect island to send him too. Guaranteed opportunity at a big buck. :mrgreen:

Might be a inside joke I’m not aware of. But the answer I based my response off of in Dans video footage. I believe he said he has never killed a buck in the particular spot. I’m not exactly following the goat on the rope. I mean was it the fact he said if it was me I would hunt that tree? Cause In my head what’s the difference in that and the next spot where tips were Still provided. Not exactly like anyone was blazing there own trail and cracking the code. And that’s not a shot at the other guys. My point is if a hunter knows how to hunt he will eventually find the spot anyway. In such a case it’s nice to have friends. Then there’s a group of whitetail enthusiasts who proclaim to be Experts but rely on others knowledge to get it done, then take the credit. Sometimes the best reference is “Chicken on a Stick.” Where folks are scared to hunt a property alone or without someone holding there hand.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Wet cool video! I really like it and yes it’s a great way to start a topic!

As far as the topic goes, I’m proud. Field hunting also isn’t a favorite of mine. My soul gravitates to the hard to reach deep dark corners of public land.

In that scenario where I don’t know the area and an experienced friend is piggy backing me to a perfect spot by a corn field, I’d like to think I could be ok putting that pride aside and getting serious about getting a deer kill on camera. I like killing deer and if it’s been agreed on before making the trip then Im one to follow through and get things bloody.

I’m pretty good with maps and my handheld gps. I’m not getting lost near a field regardless. If I got dropped off at the roadside with a tip on where About I should setup instead of being led to the exact tree, it would feel much more like me doing the hunting instead of getting spoon fed an absolute gimme. Doing it that way leaves just a little more room for error by the hunter making it feel genuine. Being led to the tree might be a minuscule detail but that little bit might have been a deal breaker for me too.

Also In that scenario, if I killed a wall hanger I might feel a little cheesy about how it all went down. Let’s face it, the story is gonna suck.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:52 am

Great analogy!
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:54 am

john1984 wrote:Why didn't Dan hunt that tree??? And what if Tim did sit that tree and only saw a fawn or missed a big buck or got caught moving and the buck spotted him and spooked??? What would you say then?

I don't miss. :lol: In all honesty though, had I killed something on film I agree it would have been awesome. But at the same time I'd have in the back of my mind where folks are complaining that the only reason these guys are killing deer is Dan is guiding them and giving him his spots. I know I shouldn't think that way or it shouldn't bother me, but since I've been younger I never liked being setup from my Dad in a stand. I like to be able to do things myself. It probably doesn't make sense to a lot of guys.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:13 am

I mean, if you didn’t want to be set-up, then why’d you go?

If you want to do it yourself, then do it yourself. It still won’t feel as satisfying finding your “own” spot in an area Dan’s already identified as good.

I hope to not come across as rude. But you seem like a very driven hunter. Don’t sell yourself short of your goals to get there faster. Keep after it if you want to do it your own way.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:25 am

perchsoup wrote:I mean, if you didn’t want to be set-up, then why’d you go?

If you want to do it yourself, then do it yourself. It still won’t feel as satisfying finding your “own” spot in an area Dan’s already identified as good.

I hope to not come across as rude. But you seem like a very driven hunter. Don’t sell yourself short of your goals to get there faster. Keep after it if you want to do it your own way.

That weekend I was already in western Wisconsin and hunted that morning. Dan sent me a text to meet up for lunch as he knew I'd be down there. He was going to hit the hills along with another spot and invited me to go with him and Rick. The first spot wasn't my cup of tea as Dan mentioned in the video. I wanted to venture out a bit in the hills. Dan gave me some tips but it was up to me to read the sign in the direction I was going and figure out the best tree to hunt.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:49 am

Great vid Dan.

Honestly I would have hit that feild edge funnel and smashed me a meat deer, like a doe for sure. I'm all about doing it myself and figuring it out on my own, but when faced with a travel to hunt situation and only a one sit type hunt I'm going to make my gas and time do the most for my freezer space and hit the guarantee spot.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:46 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:
john1984 wrote:Why didn't Dan hunt that tree??? And what if Tim did sit that tree and only saw a fawn or missed a big buck or got caught moving and the buck spotted him and spooked??? What would you say then?

I don't miss. :lol: In all honesty though, had I killed something on film I agree it would have been awesome. But at the same time I'd have in the back of my mind where folks are complaining that the only reason these guys are killing deer is Dan is guiding them and giving him his spots. I know I shouldn't think that way or it shouldn't bother me, but since I've been younger I never liked being setup from my Dad in a stand. I like to be able to do things myself. It probably doesn't make sense to a lot of guys.

Talking about your dad brings back memories of me hunting with my older brother. He would put me somewhere and then I’d wonder off thinking I could find something better. He’d get po’d when he came back by and I wasn’t in the spot he put me in and an hour later I show up at the truck.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”