Committing to a Spot Issues

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

Re: Committing to a Spot Issues

Unread postby may21581 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:10 pm

last saturday I ended up hiking through the hills all afternoon trying to get on some good sign. I never hunted and only got on marginal sign. I felt by hunting in such spots would only produce marginal bucks and thats not what im after so why waste a hunt? Is this normal to scout your way in only to not hunt? I'm OK with this now, a few years back I would of been blown away and upset about it. In order to be a 10 percenter you have to not be like 90 percent of the other hunters!

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:38 pm

I have walked into spot on afternoon hunts to turn and walk out. Because of no sign or not what I expected. Sometimes when you hunt a new area you will slowly hone into where you need to be at. Big deer do not always leave a lot of sign.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Adding on to what Ghost Hunter just wrote, it’s been mentioned in one of Dan’s recent vids and by DIY Sportsman, recognizing what an area looks like when it’s being used is one of the hard parts. To me it’s perfect when there’s heavy trails, rubs etc but often in early season they pointed out it’s harder to recognize low or moderate sign means the deer are there that’s just the way it is in that spot. Also in central NY where I hunt I have found that the closer I get to the bed the less sign there is. That’s both bucks and does but especially bucks. So the subtle sign is hard to recognize but key for certain spots.
Tydaniel2340

Unread postby Tydaniel2340 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 am

I am very guilty of this as well. I try to stay out of areas until I am ready to hunt them. So when I go in I constantly have a feeling of “what’s over there though” and it seems to get me in trouble most of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”