Question for my Virginia bros...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbarthelemy

Question for my Virginia bros...

Unread postby mbarthelemy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:09 am

Is it just me or has deer daylight deer movement been very very little? I've be setting up on places that show every sign to be the right spot and the right tree. I stay in the tree well past shooting light to be safe, and I even then I have only had one bust out while I was climbing down in the dark. So my big question is, where the heck do I set up this time of year to kill one? Do I have to ghillie suit up and low crawl straight into the bedding area? I'm in the Richmond area to be more exact. Are oak ridges the ticket right now?

elknturkey

Re: Question for my Virginia bros...

Unread postby elknturkey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Warm weather has slowed em down plus a lot of acorns here (good for me). Looks like a good cold front comes thru late this week.
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:20 pm

Acorns?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Im in WV but all the fresh sign I see is pretty much within the bedding areas with acorns right now. As said warm weather has shut things down and deer are not moving much. I seen less deer this year than ever while sitting but I am only looking for a good buck so that is to be expected to some degree. But I really have been scouting more than hunting the last week and waiting for next cold front-looks like this weekend.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:21 am

Im in Eastern VA.

Right now (in my opinion) acorns are king. The problem is where I hunt, they are everywhere. The acorn crop this year is ridiculous.

That being said, my suggestion is pick an area and go in around 11am or noon and start scouting. Youre looking for a white oak tree near the bedding areas. Look for droppings around the oak tree and youre in the money. I have noticed there arent a lot of condensed areas of scat droppings because there are so many acorns the deer arent staying in one place and feeding for long periods of time, they can just graze around. But they do have preferred trees, so if you find an oak with acorns and droppings youre in the right spot. Combine that with buck sign in the area and you should be up the tree.

The deer arent moving until 6pm or so, so spend as much time as you need to scout and find the hot spot just try to get setup by 4pm. Dont setup until you find the hot sign. Theyre only going to move maybe 200 yards between 6pm and dark so make sure youre close enough to a bedding area to account for that.
what one man can do another can do
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:45 am

If you’re in the Richmond area I would recommend Hollywood Cemetery. Shoot you a 200 inches in there!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”