What to read/watch first?!?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thomasj1107

What to read/watch first?!?

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:18 am

What do you all recommend to read/watch first to get up to speed with the ideas discussed on this forum? I primarily hunt public right now, but occasionally have private access in central NC. Is it best to get the DVDS first and then combine that with reading the forums, or is there a better way to get the same info quicker without accumulating the DVDs?

Thanks!

funderburk
500 Club

Re: What to read/watch first?!?

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:26 am

Both! Get all of Dan’s DVDs and study as much as you can on this forum. For the sake of efficiency, check out the All Time Best Tactical Thread.

Regardless of the terrain you’re hunting, the DVDs will help you understand what goes through a mature buck’s mind when he searches out secure bedding. You’ll start seeing how it makes you think differently in any given terrain. There’s absolutely no substitute for having the visuals that Dan gives in those DVDs. And the shirts he wears are super educational, too :lol:

This forum will help answer a lot of questions you might have that may need a more specific answer. It’s also cool to celebrate kills with everyone. I’ve become good friends with several guys from this community, because everyone here is passionate about learning and helping each other out.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Thomasj1107

Unread postby Thomasj1107 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:56 am

I’m looking to purchase the DVDs and I’m confused. Getting the hill country and farm country bedding, says chapter 5 and 6. How many chapters are there, and which ones are 1-4?
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:03 am

Yep. That just means they were the fifth and sixth installments to the bedding dvd series. There’s Marsh and Swamp, also, but I don’t know what 1 and 2 are.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:20 am

HB Hill Country and Marsh bedding are great to start with. I would highly suggest those first.

All time best tactical threads

Other:
Dan's Interviews on Wired 2 Hunt
Mapping Trophy Bucks Book
Jeff Murray For Big Bucks Only Book
Roger Raglin Invading Big Buck Bedding Areas & Silent Stalker
Toad Smith Hunting Deer in Standing Corn
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:28 am

Thomasj1107 wrote:What do you all recommend to read/watch first to get up to speed with the ideas discussed on this forum? I primarily hunt public right now, but occasionally have private access in central NC. Is it best to get the DVDS first and then combine that with reading the forums, or is there a better way to get the same info quicker without accumulating the DVDs?

Thanks!

The all time tactical thread is huge. There are still some tidbits of info that are learned here and there but 90% of questions here can be directed to that thread. Spend a lot of time on it. A lot of time.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”