Some help with hunting SMZs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chris.

Some help with hunting SMZs

Unread postby Chris. » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:35 pm

I got on a hunting lease in west Tn in June and it’s mainly hill country with SMZs. Pines on the top and hard woods on the bottom. I was only able to go scouting once or twice this year so far. Some advice on how some of you guys would approach it. Thanks for the help.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Some help with hunting SMZs

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:08 am

I live in west TN I’ve never heard of SMZs I don’t know what they are.

Your best bet is to scout it. Walk your transitions After this rain and find fresh tracks and trails then go from there. Good luck.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Chris.

Unread postby Chris. » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:15 am

Thanks for the help. I has hills that go into a creeks. On top of the hills to about 1/3 of the way down is in pine. The lower part is hard woods. The pine is in different growth stages. They were saying something about that they left the lower parts in hardwoods because of erosion. I’ll do that and I need to get more out of my comfort zone and get in there.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:12 am

SMZ a streamside management zone? If so means the timber companies buffer the creeks when they harvest and leave the hardwoods - usually pretty narrow. Often the only place that will have oaks and can be really good - the deer will use them as travel corridors as well when the pines get thick.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:46 pm

I hunt similar areas and find that the deer are mostly bedding in the pines, usually near the transition with that hardwoods. I would recommend walking the bottoms of the smz and once you find a well used trail going up towards the pines, follow it until you find the bedding areas.

Also, if there are obvious points that have steep elevation gain, make sure to scout them.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”