Tree stand safety

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Tree stand safety

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:07 am

Yankee301 wrote:We should definitely wear harnesses. Are we wearing the correct harnesses though? If you are unable to self rescue from most hunting harnesses you will begin to quickly experience trauma. Most of the relief loops don't work very well even if you are uninjured enough to use them. I switched to a rock climbing harness for a few reasons. It will turn you toward the tree with a greater chance of self rescue and I should be able to sit in it for quite some time. They do sell full body styles and chest harnesses for the sit versions if you are worried about slipping out of it. Also make sure we are using a proper tether and using it correctly to reduce or eliminate the trauma of a fall. I know this can be a hotly debated topic but I believe I am safer with the RC harness. I have a whistle connected to my jacket zipper and a communication device zipped in a pocket. Many of you beast style hunters may have to wait awhile for any help so it is just something to think about.

A properly utilized safety harness will have the strap just a bit taught when you sit down. This limits the distance you can actually fall. Gravity will always pull you into the tree. At that point, self-rescue depends on your equipment. If you have a hang on then you should be able to reach, grab, and get back onto your steps or climbing sticks. If you fall from a climber, then you need to be able to pull yourself back into the stand which is a lot more difficult. Especially if the strap was loose and your "fall" has you below the stand.

Rock harnesses are okay I suppose. I've never used one myself. But many lack a lineman's belt loop(s) and they also have your tether at hip height which introduces the possibility the carabiner could hit other metal like your stand seat, sticks, etc. Rock harnesses also tend to have metal loops, etc. which I try to avoid because of noise potential. In a self-recovery situation, though I can't argue they are the better option.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:26 am

I’m personally just not the type to sit around and think of every possible risk there is an plan accordingly. I acknowledge there is risks involved and I try to be careful. I wait for deer season all year and realize at any second the deer I’m after can appear. So I don’t head out into the woods to get some sleep or drink some whiskey.

If I fell and was in a situation like described. I would immediately tighten the chin strap on my helmet, cut myself loose, deploy my parachute, radio the air national guard, and fire my flare gun as I waited for rescue. Just j/k

If I couldn’t get back on my platform I always have a knife physically on me. I would cut myself free and drop. I personally can’t ever see how this could possibly happen to me by how i tether in but if it did it’s exactly what I would do.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:22 am

I fell last week from bottom step of 2nd stick. i had my carabiner hooked to the wrong loop and i did not realize it.
I was about 10 foot up and I am a big boy so when the loop ripped and broke. i hit the ground a with a heavy boom.
I also use to be a big dummy when i was young and dumb jumping from farm towers and hay lofts, forts etc. well, that hurts like now
those days are over. now i am really slow and make sure im in the right loop and i try to keep at least 3 points contact.
I am 46 and still young but the body doesnt feel that way plus why take the chance. a saftey vest weighs almost nothing and it takes literaly 30 seconds to hook to tree.
doesnt take much of a fall to either kill you or keep you from ever walking again.
I will hook up to tree ,I want to hunt for the rest of my life. at least til i am unable to physically
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:00 pm

My friends and I used to jump off all sorts of stupid stuff in high school. I was back there not too long ago and saw some of the stuff we would jump off of and had no idea what I was thinking. :lol:

Tell you what though, on the saddle hunting facebook groups this year, there have been at least 3 guys who fell and impaled their legs on climbing sticks, and yesterday some dude posted that his tether broke and he fell 15', broke a hip, punctured a lung and had to be life flighted to the hospital. Scary stuff.

Be safe out there people.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:37 am

Trout wrote:My friends and I used to jump off all sorts of stupid stuff in high school. I was back there not too long ago and saw some of the stuff we would jump off of and had no idea what I was thinking. :lol:

Tell you what though, on the saddle hunting facebook groups this year, there have been at least 3 guys who fell and impaled their legs on climbing sticks, and yesterday some dude posted that his tether broke and he fell 15', broke a hip, punctured a lung and had to be life flighted to the hospital. Scary stuff.

Be safe out there people.

I saw that posted on a thread on the Saddlehunter main site. They picture of the guy that impaled himself in the thigh on a climbing stick step was gruesome. He’s lucky it missed his artery and he didn’t bleed out.

I was hanging a cam this spring and had a slip. The step glanced off my chest and caught my bicep. Luckily just scrapes and bad bruising. Hate to think what may have happened if it caught me under my ribcage. Likely would have gutted me. :o

As usual with stuff like this I was rushing. Luckily my lineman belt saved me. Take it slow and be careful guys. Think about each and every movement.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:11 am

I would imagine there will be more mishaps like this in the near future due to home brew mods and trying to shave ounces. There’s guys out there running paracord bridges, plastic crackerjack prize carabiners, ropes not designed for climbing, ditching tested stick straps cause someone else said it’s cool. All for what? The weight of a bottle of water. And I’m the idiot here... :think:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:22 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I would imagine there will be more mishaps like this in the near future due to home brew mods and trying to shave ounces. There’s guys out there running paracord bridges, plastic crackerjack prize carabiners, ropes not designed for climbing, ditching tested stick straps cause someone else said it’s cool. All for what? The weight of a bottle of water. And I’m the idiot here... :think:

Modifications were the main reason for the accidents posted above. It’s amazing what some will do to save a few ounces. I have gotten away from using stick aiders. Had way to many scary moments with them. Carrying another stick is much safer and weighs less than two pounds.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:12 am

I heard a call come in on the volunteer first responders line two weeks ago for a guy who fell out of his stand here in SE WI a couple weeks ago. Great reminder to go slow and be safe. I do not enjoy heights, and without a harness I wouldn't ever hunt out of a tree.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:57 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I would imagine there will be more mishaps like this in the near future due to home brew mods and trying to shave ounces. There’s guys out there running paracord bridges, plastic crackerjack prize carabiners, ropes not designed for climbing, ditching tested stick straps cause someone else said it’s cool. All for what? The weight of a bottle of water. And I’m the idiot here... :think:

Modifications were the main reason for the accidents posted above. It’s amazing what some will do to save a few ounces. I have gotten away from using stick aiders. Had way to many scary moments with them. Carrying another stick is much safer and weighs less than two pounds.

Here is one of those accidents. :o

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:01 am

:shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”