Need some advice!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stevenbergster
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Berg-Outdoors-102617921284374/

Need some advice!

Unread postby Stevenbergster » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:57 am

Alrighty guys, I'm looking for some advice. I got permission on a new piece of property and got pictures of a couple deer I want to target. I went out yesterday to try to figure out where they were bedding. I suspected that they might be bedding in the points of thick cover that are jutting out into the sod fields on the right side of the picture. I ended up jumping two big deer (black pins on the map). The one furthest to the bottom is the bed I'd like to hunt. The bed was huge and there was a lot of large clumps of poop around it. Just for reference, the fields on top of the ridge to the left are bean fields. The fields on the bottom of the ridge to the right are just sod fields. I am looking for advice on how i should proceed. I want to increase my chances as much as I can, but don't want to screw it up. Here are a few questions I have. But welcome all the advice you can give me.

1. How long should I wait to hunt it given the fact that I bumped him out of his bed yesterday (Wednesday)? Earliest I could possible hunt it is Saturday.
2. How should the steep ridge play into my selection of a stand location? Im specifically wondering about thermals as well as the wind in the evening.
3. Im not sure if he is coming straight up the ridge to the bean field or if he is hitting a trail that runs on the bottom of the ridge that heads northeast a ways before cutting up the ridge. How does this impact my next move.

How should I proceed? I am determined to kill this deer! But this is the first time attempting to hunt beast style, so I'm looking for all the advice/help I can get. Maybe Dan wants to take a quick road trip? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

***Steven Berg Jr.***
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Need some advice!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:48 pm

My advice is I’ve been hunting these critters a long time and if u want a guarantee go buy a toaster oven or go on a canned hunt. Now... to the meat an potatoes of your question. No 2 places I have hunted are exactly the same. The stuff takes time. Yes u get better at strategic guesses over the years. But me, being honest I would say on average takes me 3 years on a property under 200 acres to get me in the ballpark of something I consider high odds. By year 5 I have it pegged to the best tree on the place and when.

Don’t get in a rush, don’t get down, give it your best shot, learn and off to the next!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”