What are Fall food sources?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

What are Fall food sources?

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:20 pm

What are some fall food sources? I have a feeling the deer by me are switching from summer food sources and beds to fall food sources and beds.

Had a sit today and didn’t see a thing, going to try to key in near bedding and food sources.

I know they like soy beans in the summer and the first week or so of the season. They also like Acorns in the early season.

What type of food do they gravitate towards in the fall?

Thanks!

mauser06
500 Club

Re: What are Fall food sources?

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Deer can and do eat nearly everything in the habitat they live in. It would be a shorter list of stuff deer DO NOT eat.

Tough question for anyone to answer. We aren't in the woods you are.

Example, when the sugar maples drop and you have some sugar maples around....that can be a huge draw...but usually pretty short lived.

Here, the fall shift started early. Beans turned early. Underbrush died down early...apples dropped early and were limited. Acorns started dropping early. Season started later.

Hunt the fresh sign. I was guilty of it for a long while. I wanted to hunt where I saw deer at night shinning...or where I know there were deer at some point or another...or a place I've seen a big buck at some point. I didn't wanna miss time in a stand to go looking for fresh sign and sticking with the deer.

Last year was really the first I really changed myself. I had by far the best season of my life. In less than 3 weeks I managed to miss 3 different mature bucks (long stories lol) I passed up multiple 1.5 and 2.5yos.

I walked a lot of miles....with a stand on my back and bow in my hand. I didn't sit there and wait and hope. I went hunting.

Hunt deer where they are. Don't overthink it...but think outside the box.

Good luck!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:46 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40866&hilit=Browse

A few years ago, I asked a similar question about this... lots of great responses in that thread after you get past me being a young jerk. :oops:

I ended up calling the state extension service after calling a few biologists, and they gave me a list from a study where the observed the digestive contents of deer in my area. NW MN, I think you are from MN based on your name...

Give it a read, there is a ton of info about different areas too. You may find some things that you hadn’t thought of as “big” draw food sources.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:01 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40866&hilit=Browse

A few years ago, I asked a similar question about this... lots of great responses in that thread after you get past me being a young jerk. :oops:

I ended up calling the state extension service after calling a few biologists, and they gave me a list from a study where the observed the digestive contents of deer in my area. NW MN, I think you are from MN based on your name...

Give it a read, there is a ton of info about different areas too. You may find some things that you hadn’t thought of as “big” draw food sources.

Oh cool! So just go through your posts till I find it?

What’s the thread titled?

And yea MN south west of the cities.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:04 am

Mossberg90MN wrote:
isitseasonyet? wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40866&hilit=Browse

Did the link in my first reply post work for you? It should bring you to it, but I could have messed it up. It’s titled Preferred Big Buck Browse.

Try this? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40866&hilit=Browse#p597248
Last edited by isitseasonyet? on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:06 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:
Mossberg90MN wrote:

Did the link in my first reply post work for you? It should bring you to it, but I could have messed it up. It’s titled Preferred Big Buck Browse.

Missed it!

Thanks man I’ll check it out!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”