success hunting OVER bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jrain904

success hunting OVER bed

Unread postby jrain904 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Bumped a giant from his bed mid day. This is in the mountains of WV. Wandered to the spot and found his bed. Heavy trail to it, worn to the dirt, covered in scat and hair. Wondering if anyone has had much success going in well before light (2hrs or more perhaps) and setting up a stand over his bed and then arrowing him at first light. Thanks.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: success hunting OVER bed

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Google Greg Litzinger. He's had quite a bit of success in that exact scenario.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Bump and dump. Did it a few years ago. Hunted the next morning. Buck came back, but wasnt as good as I thought.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:26 pm

Definitely try it. It’s well worth it. I’m relaying my story only because it makes me laugh every time I think of it. First time I bumped a big buck mid-afternoon I hatched that same plan to be there before sunup. I woke up at 3 drove 30 minutes hiked in 1 full mile in the late Oct freeze to be set up in the tree 2 hours before sunup. I got to the base of the tree a mere 20 yards from the bed and before climbing up I needed to catch my breath so I paused, shined my light around to survey the soon-to-be kill zone, and I watch the buck and his doe stand up from their beds. They were already there. They stared at me for a while then slowly walked away. A few hours later I did see a porcupine walk through, so there’s that.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:23 pm

Listen to Greg Litzinger as mentioned... but if you got all your bases covered, good tree picked with clear shooting lanes, good wind and thermal, good access, I would go for it. I hunt WV and have never specifically tried it mostly because I have never found that right bed at the right time in the right area to setup but I setup over bedding areas all the time in morning. Good luck.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:09 am

Be aware of the "J" hook.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:46 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Google Greg Litzinger. He's had quite a bit of success in that exact scenario.

+1 on this! Hes great

If you guys have something special going on in your region where bucks come back to bed late, then that is something really unique.
Newff

Unread postby Newff » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:38 am

For bump.and dump would it be best to.do 9t on a day where the wind is the same for 2 days in a row? Making it more like that in the morning he would want.to use that same bed?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”