Need a new Bow

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cstark001

Need a new Bow

Unread postby Cstark001 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:03 pm

Been using a hand me down martin compound bow from 1989 and more recently a crossbow. I was wondering if Dan has ever recommended or commented on what bows he prefers or if anyone has any suggestions on quality modern technology that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I dont care about brands, I just want something that's worth the money that isnt high priced just because someone on TV uses it. Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

4 the chase

Re: Need a new Bow

Unread postby 4 the chase » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:50 pm

The most common advice I see for this question is to go and shoot as many bows as you need to until you find one that feels right to you. Almost all the brands are putting out quality equipment now and most have mid range price models so you aren’t emptying your wallet. If you aren’t the type that does your own work on your equipment you may want to consider buying something your local shop works on. Have fun!
Cstark001

Unread postby Cstark001 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:57 pm

4 the chase wrote:The most common advice I see for this question is to go and shoot as many bows as you need to until you find one that feels right to you. Almost all the brands are putting out quality equipment now and most have mid range price models so you aren’t emptying your wallet. If you aren’t the type that does your own work on your equipment you may want to consider buying something your local shop works on. Have fun!

Alright. Thanks a lot for the help!
Swampzilla

Unread postby Swampzilla » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:21 pm

Cstark001 wrote:Been using a hand me down martin compound bow from 1989 and more recently a crossbow. I was wondering if Dan has ever recommended or commented on what bows he prefers or if anyone has any suggestions on quality modern technology that wont cost me an arm and a leg. I dont care about brands, I just want something that's worth the money that isnt high priced just because someone on TV uses it. Any help appreciated.

A good shooter and budget friendly bow is a bow tech assassin. I believe you can get them in the 250-300 dollar range and I’ve been using mine since 2015. It shoots 330 FPS which is not far off from the 1000 dollar bows and I friend it a comfortable shooter. Def give it a look if that’s a acceptable price range!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:05 pm

Buying used can be a good option.
I would still go to an archery shop so you can try them out and see what works best for you.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:08 pm

I'd almost never pay retail for any of the high end bows the year they release. In a year or 2 those same how's are for sale and don't bring but a couple hundred bucks. Lotta guys like to get the latest greatest every season.

Don't shoot a bow because so and so does. Shoot a bow because it feels good in your hands and shoots well for you. After the season, goto a few local shops and try a few different bows at each shop. I say that because if you go now, they are probably too busy to give you the time you need and they'll probably get fed up if you try to shoot every now in the shop lol. Pick a few in your budget at each place.

It'll also give you time to get it setup and dialed in and get yourself dialed in and shooting well.

You can put together a heck of a bow on a decent budget buying used stuff.

If you do buy a used bow, I'd budget $100 or so for replacing the string. Unless I personally know the seller, I replace the string and cables. Just because I don't know and don't wanna find out. Maybe overkill. But that's what I do.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”