Push further or sit back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MinKan

Push further or sit back?

Unread postby MinKan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:16 am

Need some advise on next steps. I've been hunting some river bottoms public land and I would say it sees moderate pressure by hunters. I finally got a good ways back across a river that has a nice oxbow that is adjacent to some ag fields by about 200 yards. Anyways, last night I had multiple does and at least one buck come through just after (by 3 minutes) legal light. As I sat there in darkness I had multiple others pass through 15-20 minutes after shooting light. Do I push further towards suspected bedding or let it rest and come back during a nice cold front and hope they are up moving earlier than usual?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Push further or sit back?

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:22 am

There are variables at play here.

If you are concerned about getting messed by someone else - go deeper on the first good wind. If you just want any deer and aren't in a hurry, you could wait for the next front or head in further at your discretion.

So - the deer eased on by from essentially closing light for 20 minutes. Very nice! You are probably pretty close to the bedding - do you know where it is or just the general area? - can you ease in another 100 yards? 200 yards? The first couple of deer could be bedded closer...

Personally, I'd be going deeper.
MinKan

Unread postby MinKan » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:30 am

I don't believe this particular spot will see another hunter too soon. Regarding bedding, I do not have a confirmed area where they would be. its pretty much timber that follows a winding river 80-100 yards on either side. That's honestly my biggest concern is I don't know exactly where that bedding might be and would risk bumping them out if I go too far. however, I won't ever get a shot if I don't catch them in daylight. I'm leaning towards heading back on the next good wind and slowly pushing another 80-100 yards further.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:38 am

I would most definitely push in further when conditions are right again. There is no guarantee that those deer will stay on the same pattern, and no way to know if somebody else will hunt there either. And consider the "spokes on the wheel" analogy. The closer you are to the bedding, the more likely you are to possibly get a shot before they disperse from there. Just my .02.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:40 am

If I’m gonna screw things up, then I’m gonna screw em up BIG! Laying up is for golfers with a 3 stroke lead going into the back 9. A spot is only good for a short amount of time. U got to fry while the grease is hot. Observing is great if u are hunting big food plots or ag fields imo. Go get em 8-)
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:56 am

Go for it. I'd push deeper before food sources change/ patterns change etc.
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:12 am

I would definitely push deeper on the next good wind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”