Entrance/Exit no blood discussion

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Entrance/Exit no blood discussion

Unread postby Chuck B » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:02 pm

Rich, appreciate the thorough response. All makes sense. I do alsoenjoy shooting the .243 versus the 3006 as well when it just comes to target shooting. Makes sense about the length of shot and property boundaries. I have the kid shooting 87 grain reduced recoil hornandy right now with it, but would be nice to get up to 100 grain for next season. As you mentioned, time to start monkeying around with different loads. Thanks.

If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Entrance/Exit no blood discussion

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:26 pm

Chuck B wrote:Rich, appreciate the thorough response. All makes sense. I do alsoenjoy shooting the .243 versus the 3006 as well when it just comes to target shooting. Makes sense about the length of shot and property boundaries. I have the kid shooting 87 grain reduced recoil hornandy right now with it, but would be nice to get up to 100 grain for next season. As you mentioned, time to start monkeying around with different loads. Thanks.

Chuck -

Sounds like you guys are doing great - there are a bunch of 85 gr bullets that'll work well at full speed and might not have much more recoil compared to the reduced recoil loads. The SST and Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets have great reviews for dropping deer once your boy gets there.

I've got another "favorite" rifle and it is a 357 magnum. Started with a single shot in about 2010 and worked up a load for it - using 158 gr XTP flat point bullets that are designed for higher impact velocities than regular handgun bullets (think they are good up to 1800+ fps and my load is 1900 at muzzle). Liked it so much, bought a Ruger M77-357 and love it. Light, mild noise, and hardly any recoil (about 5# recoil). Its a 100 yard gun and the deer pretty much drop at the shot. If they do run, its usually a 1-hole thing but its a big hole and they leak decent. My wife and stepson love these guns and leave the "cannons" to me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”