This may ruffle feathers.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

This may ruffle feathers.

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Im just going to post a thought. Why do guys throw a fit about guys hunting big private ground vs public? I realize public is hard blah blah blah, I hunt public but if a guy has worked hard to formulate enough wealth to pay for hunts or hunt/own private ground why is he disregarded now days as “not a real hunter” those people see animals acting way more normal I’m sure than we do. Joe Rogan mentioned this on a podcast and it got me thinking, they were talking about Elk hunting and how they are on private and bulls are bugling going nuts as they would in the complete wild un bothered by humans where as on public they are recluse because of pressure not acting as they would normally. Deer would be very similar I assume. Not saying ones right or ones wrong just why the division?

Earn what’s never given.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: This may ruffle feathers.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:31 pm

Because shooting tame deer is not hunting.
Corn piles ,salt, high fences, huge properties removes the challenge. Hunting is suppost to be hard that's why it's called hunting not shooting.

Rey Charles could shoot a booner on some of these private farms. The deer may as well be living in a high fenced park.

Small areas of private i think are similar to pressured public. It is much more rewarding to hunt a natural animal. Predator and Prey.

Today's hunting celebrities will feed a buck with a bottle and pump it full of abominations. Some person pays a thousand bucks so they put you in a preset stand wait a hour and let the buck out of the pen too shoot.

If someone wants to cheat thats fine those kind of people will always exist in life. I can guarantee ill take more pride in a 150 a took on pressured public then a 200 on a private farm. We all have too make a choice and live with it.

Deep down do people really want to look at that buck and think yeah I bought him. Perhaps people will never want to admit they bought or cheated but deep down they know.

Fair chase is where the thrill is at.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Private here has way more pressure than public. 55% of the county I live in is public land and I have hunted seasons and yet to see someone else in the woods.
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Bperdue21 wrote:Private here has way more pressure than public. 55% of the county I live in is public land and I have hunted seasons and yet to see someone else in the woods.

Where do you hunt? ;)
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:42 pm

I’m really going to ruffle some feathers here, but it’s because hunters as a whole are the most insecure generalized group of people I’ve associated myself with. Now that’s not to say all are, but the majority most definitely act like they are toting a tic tac. If it isn’t the way a given hunter does it, he downs the others for it. If someone posts a deer, he’s quick to say it doesn’t score as much as the hunter says it does with even seeing it in person. If he’s killed bigger, any other deer isn’t a trophy.

Hunting is far from being the sport of champions. A kill should just be the icing on the cake. A wall of deer looks nice and shows dedication private or public. Management takes time just like killing one on public takes time

To feel as if you are smart for outwitting an animal is essentially to admit your intelligence level is not much different than said animals
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Because shooting tame deer is not hunting.
Corn piles ,salt, high fences, huge properties removes the challenge. Hunting is suppost to be hard that's why it's called hunting not shooting.

Rey Charles could shoot a booner on some of these private farms. The deer may as well be living in a high fenced park.

Small areas of private i think are similar to pressured public. It is much more rewarding to hunt a natural animal. Predator and Prey.

Today's hunting celebrities will feed a buck with a bottle and pump it full of abominations. Some person pays a thousand bucks so they put you in a preset stand wait a hour and let the buck out of the pen too shoot.

If someone wants to cheat thats fine those kind of people will always exist in life. I can guarantee ill take more pride in a 150 a took on pressured public then a 200 on a private farm. We all have too make a choice and live with it.

Deep down do people really want to look at that buck and think yeah I bought him. Perhaps people will never want to admit they bought or cheated but deep down they know.

Fair chase is where the thrill is at.

I feel like this took a dark turn I’m more referring to leases or privately owned ground not HIGH FENCE thats another animal in itself, I’m just saying if a guy has worked his tail off to afford a lifestyle that allows him to buy a 1,000 acres in say illinois why is he ousted as a real hunter? We scout and work hard on public, he trims trails, runs cameras and plants fields why is one better than the other? I’m a public guy so don’t think I’m sitting on private.
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Bperdue21 wrote:Private here has way more pressure than public. 55% of the county I live in is public land and I have hunted seasons and yet to see someone else in the woods.

I know areas like that.
Earn what’s never given.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Burningbootleather wrote:I’m really going to ruffle some feathers here, but it’s because hunters as a whole are the most insecure generalized group of people I’ve associated myself with. Now that’s not to say all are, but the majority most definitely act like they are toting a tic tac. If it isn’t the way a given hunter does it, he downs the others for it. If someone posts a deer, he’s quick to say it doesn’t score as much as the hunter says it does with even seeing it in person. If he’s killed bigger, any other deer isn’t a trophy.

Hunting is far from being the sport of champions. A kill should just be the icing on the cake. A wall of deer looks nice and shows dedication private or public. Management takes time just like killing one on public takes time

To feel as if you are smart for outwitting an animal is essentially to admit your intelligence level is not much different than said animals

This^^^ is spot on! I have trophy hunter friends and tag filling friends and if you listened to our conversations you wouldn’t know which is which.
Earn what’s never given.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Whatever trips your trigger, you can get permission for and/ or own in my book.

I’m not going to look down or up to you whichever way you choose to hunt.

I’ll just be happy for you if you get something nice.

(except those high+fence genetic freaks)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:41 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Nothing wrong with hunting Fair Chase anywhere you can get permission and it’s legal.

I have killed big bucks on private and public with a bow.
Not bragging just saying that all those bucks were earned and nobody has the right or should judge a person if they have access to or have the means to purchase private land to hunt.

Last year I was on a 4 day guided hunt on over 1000 acres with some clients. All free chase land with some management practice. I never saw a buck I would shoot.

Two weeks later I shot a large P&Y on public.
Point is private doesn’t Always equal easier hunting.

Both can be great or terrible. Depends on your skill level determination time of season and habitat.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:56 pm

I dont think the people on this site get too riled up over guys hunting private- whether its leased, owned, or free permission. I think you start to see guys turned off or negatively react when it stops being hunting and becomes whitetail agriculture.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:56 pm

Human nature. Jealousy, envy, so on. Everyone would be happier if we stopped caring what everyone else is doing. Private land doesn’t automatically equal easy. I think that’s a misconception. Where I live leases are expensive and it’s pretty rare to just get permission unpaid. Expensive leases equal a lot of guys to pitch in to be able to afford it. The convenience of private land is a bigger factor than buck size. Guys like being able to drive a truck or an ATV right over to pick up their deer. Guys like being able to set up stands and leave them so they don’t have to put up a stand every time.

Another misconception is that you can just put corn feeders out and kill monster bucks. Wrong. Not as easy as it sounds. I have plenty of friends who put out corn all the time. Their walls aren’t covered with deer heads. Believe it or not there is even a lot of strategy that goes into consistently killing nice bucks around corn. I don’t use bait but I have in the past and know plenty of people doing it.

It is true that there are private properties that are huge with lots of big bucks and a small number of hunters. This is where jealousy creeps in. Other hunters see a guy killing giants and know he has it a lot easier than them and they start to tear him down.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:16 am

Social media toxicity is probably most of it. Resentment from mainstream hunting content in the 90's and 00's was all that foodplot, grow, and harvest your trophy shenanigans. That kind of hunting is completely out of reach of the vast majority.

I don't begrudge a guy for doing it and it's not how I spend my wealth, but at the same time I don't care to engage in discussions about it or consume that content because it's just not the kind of hunting I'm into. So I just seek out "the good stuff" from my perspective.

Outside of the virtual world, there are all kinds of people into hunting just as anything else. I'll just say humility is a trait I value a lot in people and one that hunters disproportionally seem to lack. My wife a few times has said, "this friend, her husband hunts, we should hang out because you'd get along". "NOT SO FAST," I say, I'll give it a shot, but there are all kinds of kinds!
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:27 am

I dont know any public ground around here that has high fences or tame WILDLIFE. Either way you hunt you still have to beat a deers nose,eyes and hearing public or private. You hunt where you can and whats avalible in your area.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:46 am

I used to equate private with cushy low pressured hunting. I have mixed in more private into my hunting and it has not been that. Sure there are some advantages to hunting private, but there are advantages that public offer as well.

At the end of the day, the people I know hunting private land generally own it and it's not a big piece. Some put a fair amount of effort into maintaining the property.

I think the disconnect become more apparent with some hunting shows. Some of those are hunting in areas that are not relatable to most people. But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. A hunter still should enjoy their time in the field no matter the ground they are hunting on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”