Camera opinions on black flash vs IR?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Camera opinions on black flash vs IR?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:49 am

When do you guys choose to use IR vs the more expensive black flash options? Ive have several cam go down this year, bought some cheap IRs, and some Strike Force IRs. The strike force are really good cams but im afraid to use them in my good spots. Just in the yard at night Ive had some 1 yr old bucks freak out and run from the red glow.

I know to hang them high to help this (but also don't like the limited range when hanging high), but im running so many cams i started putting them back at waist height for quick in and out card swapping.

What has your experience been?

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Camera opinions on black flash vs IR?

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:38 am

I have never seen a difference but I hang mine high. No choice but to hang them high here or they end up a chew toy for bears. I think a lot of cams make a noise and that is what deer don’t like or they pick up on a scent.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: Camera opinions on black flash vs IR?

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 am

I prefer the black but have mostly ir. I get pics of tails at night a lot. During the day no problems so I don’t attribute it to noise. Hang em high makes a big diff but some models still spook em at night...

I’m beginning to shift back to life before trail cams
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”