How to best manage my time

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Denisboyko22

How to best manage my time

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:49 am

I've hunted 7 times already this wisconsin season. Problem is I've gotten busted 2 times going in/setting up because I'm in a rush to get setup. If lucky I get off work at 4:30 and then drive roughly 50 minutes to public and then its 5:30 when im ready to walk into the woods but sunset is at 6:30 so I really have only about 25 minutes to walk and setup so I'm in rush and its starting to irritate me haha. What should I do? Weekends I might be able to have 1 full day free if im lucky. I've been hunting alot based of terrain features/maps and where the best bedding looks like according to the maps. Going to be honest im after something mature or just big enough so I know of some deer but I already hunted those spots and I've been hunting new spots blind now because I wont have enough time to scout those other areas looking for tracks and etc to get on them again

A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: How to best manage my time

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:04 am

Denisboyko22 wrote:I've hunted 7 times already this wisconsin season. Problem is I've gotten busted 2 times going in/setting up because I'm in a rush to get setup. If lucky I get off work at 4:30 and then drive roughly 50 minutes to public and then its 5:30 when im ready to walk into the woods but sunset is at 6:30 so I really have only about 25 minutes to walk and setup so I'm in rush and its starting to irritate me haha. What should I do? Weekends I might be able to have 1 full day free if im lucky. I've been hunting alot based of terrain features/maps and where the best bedding looks like according to the maps. Going to be honest im after something mature or just big enough so I know of some deer but I already hunted those spots and I've been hunting new spots blind now because I wont have enough time to scout those other areas looking for tracks and etc to get on them again

If possible pre hang your stand and sticks on the spot on your way back out. Are try hunting from the ground so your carring less gear and have much less setup time and noise.

That way it's less for you to do and you wont feel rushed and in turn will slow down as well.

But honestly the biggest thing is just not getting frustrated on getting busted, it's going to happen and happens to the best hunters
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:21 am

First off, that is cutting it way to close and pushing too hard IMO. You gotta beat satellite deer and you need to get in earlier. That scenario sounds like a quick speed scout or camera pull. I would do that on a local property but not an hour away.

If I cant get setup and have 2-3 hours to sit then im not pushing it and im saving the spot for better days. Watching the weather and asking to leave early to at least give myself an extra hour to let things settle down. Why stress about it all day, drive an hour, walk a mile and bump your deer or let a doe blow up the woods at prime time?

Pushing it that close, I would most definitely leave the stand and ground hunt. Or pre set stands to slip into. I think those 2 things alone would help you.

My suggestion is slow things down, reset, reassess and plan the attacks. Be a little more methodical about it.
kher

Unread postby kher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:28 am

IMO "time" is the biggest thing that hinders us as hunters. You should look at it as something to learn from in that specific area you are hunting. If you are being busted at that time that must mean deer like to move around that area in those "peak" times. It will help you know next time to be there earlier and also can mean that they are bedded closer to that area v.s an area where you get to see them before last light or after legal light.

The other thing you can do is see if you can hunt them from the ground, it will cut your time for setting up and probably be a big help in building your ground game.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:33 am

kher wrote:IMO "time" is the biggest thing that hinders us as hunters. You should look at it as something to learn from in that specific area you are hunting. If you are being busted at that time that must mean deer like to move around that area in those "peak" times. It will help you know next time to be there earlier and also can mean that they are bedded closer to that area v.s an area where you get to see them before last light or after legal light.

The other thing you can do is see if you can hunt them from the ground, it will cut your time for setting up and probably be a big help in building your ground game.

That is true,now that I've got busted since this is my first year going hard at it I know those spots will pay off in the future and go in early or opening weekend. I also now know a few spots not to hunt opening month because I havnt seen any deer and not much sign/ im hunting based off terrain features from maps and look at what would be the best bedding even if it isn't right next to food. Hoping any mature deer are already bedsing where they feel safe and will walk the extra distance. I almost want to continue doing this and then next year I will be loaded with spots for each time of year but also for some reason ground hunting really turns me off , something about being in a tree gets me excited
kher

Unread postby kher » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 am

I can relate,

Last year I didn't hunt in one of my spots until mid Oct when most of all the green in MN was gone. A lot of deer movement in that area at that time. Come this season so far, that area since May has not had much movement from my camera and not whole lot of tracks from my in season scouting. Definitely has helped me understand that area is prime for when the temps drop and when the vegetation has a drastic change.

As far as ground hunting I think the biggest turn off is not having a vantage point in seeing a lot of the area. But I bet being able to be shoot one on the same ground level would be super intense and rewarding.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:36 am

Denisboyko22 wrote:
kher wrote:IMO "time" is the biggest thing that hinders us as hunters. You should look at it as something to learn from in that specific area you are hunting. If you are being busted at that time that must mean deer like to move around that area in those "peak" times. It will help you know next time to be there earlier and also can mean that they are bedded closer to that area v.s an area where you get to see them before last light or after legal light.

That is true,now that I've got busted since this is my first year going hard at it I know those spots will pay off in the future and go in early or opening weekend. I also now know a few spots not to hunt opening month because I havnt seen any deer and not much sign/ im hunting based off terrain features from maps and look at what would be the best bedding even if it isn't right next to food. Hoping any mature deer are already bedsing where they feel safe and will walk the extra distance. I almost want to continue doing this and then next year I will be loaded with spots for each time of year but also for some reason ground hunting really turns me off , something about being in a tree gets me excited

Ground hunting is a turn off for most of us for obvious reasons. Its a not a high confidence scenario but can absolutely be successful at it.

What youre doing is shooting from the hip. That tactic is just fine and w the wind advantage anything can happen but are these spots pre-scouted? It doesnt seem that way. I wouldnt suggest hunting early season that way but its a great strategy for the rut.

You mentioned the food source and mature bucks venturing that extra to get there. They simply dont do that often this time of year. Im not trying to out ya down whatsoever, just trying to help you be successful w what you have to work with.

This is a map of a 4 year old buck. Sept 11 he should have shed velvet but that varies deer to deer and region to region. Notice when and where he can be killed.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:38 am

As long as youre having a blast and feeling good then no reason to stress! You know where youre headed in the future and thats all that matters. Good luck
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:48 am

<DK> wrote:
Denisboyko22 wrote:

Ground hunting is a turn off for most of us for obvious reasons. Its a not a high confidence scenario but can absolutely be successful at it.

What youre doing is shooting from the hip. That tactic is just fine and w the wind advantage anything can happen but are these spots pre-scouted? It doesnt seem that way. I wouldnt suggest hunting early season that way but its a great strategy for the rut.

You mentioned the food source and mature bucks venturing that extra to get there. They simply dont do that often this time of year. Im not trying to out ya down whatsoever, just trying to help you be successful w what you have to work with.

This is a map of a 4 year old buck. Sept 11 he should have shed velvet but that varies deer to deer and region to region. Notice when and where he can be killed.

Yeah i got a few biggins, I got 1 on trail camera at about 5 am , out of velvet , im thinking he should be bedded close but this was before the season started too. And yeah ground hunting is tough and I want to try it during the rut though. And wow seems like hes not going far at all
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:25 am

Need to find closer properties, start hunting from the ground, or find a new job :D

Getting out during the week is a challenge for us working stiffs, once daylights savings happens you pretty much have to take time off work to make it happen if you work normal hours.

I like the idea of hanging the stand for the next day on your way out for the night, not sure if that is legal in WI though
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:37 am

I tend to think hunting from the ground and finding a closer piece of property to hit on weekdays are the most reasonable ways. That or just use your weekday hunting time to scout instead of hunt. Scout away from bedding areas to set yourself up for a kill on a weekend when you have time to get after them with proper time allowed.

I used to do quick half hour hunts, mornings before work and after work, and they ended up being not as much fun for me after a while. A lot of effort for just a tiny amount of actual hunting time. So now either scout on foot only during the week and/or i just accept the fact that i am a weekend warrior. Keep up with house work during the week and make sure all the stars are aligned for your weekend hunts so time is spent enjoyably on the weekends.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Denisboyko22

Unread postby Denisboyko22 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:04 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Need to find closer properties, start hunting from the ground, or find a new job :D

Getting out during the week is a challenge for us working stiffs, once daylights savings happens you pretty much have to take time off work to make it happen if you work normal hours.

I like the idea of hanging the stand for the next day on your way out for the night, not sure if that is legal in WI though

Lol problem is I live in Milwaukee haha also run a family construction business and we're swamped with work but bright side is when the cold/snow comes then I can hunt everyday. The area that I drive to has alot of good shooters and they get big because of so much food but it gets very pressured. Gotta out think all of the other hunters. Im thinking of maybe spend 1 day on the weekend and find a few spots with big tracks /deer for the weekdays for a quick setup/observation sit and possibly still hunt that afternoon, but make the most I can with 1 day. Also got the problem I know exactly where a 140-150 inch buck is bedded everyday but its a 2 hour drive and I havnt had the time to go and setup on his exit route, its killing me every day knowing this :lol: :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”