Food source help

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dallas.kc

Food source help

Unread postby Dallas.kc » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Can anybody point me to a thread or other resources that breaks down what food sources deer like at different times throughout the year? I’m looking for stuff like:

What do they generally go for early, rut, and later season?
What if acorns are low this year?
What if ag crops (corn and soybeans) are present? What if they aren’t?
What other vegetation will they key in on?

Thank you for your help

Polack

Re: Food source help

Unread postby Polack » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:36 am

I'm literally looking for this right now myself. Ive run into a strange situation here in Southern Michigan where the Beans are completely dried but not cut yet, the deer are not in the beans anymore at all, there is no acorns ive found in over 1,000 acres of public land and the corn is still kinda wet if you bust one open so I don't think they are eating the corn yet. Also all of the known apple trees are already dropped and bare. Im seeing lots of does and fawns around on my cameras but not any of my target bucks anymore.
So im trying to investigate what the heck these deer might be eating right now lol. I watched these bucks eat bean tops all summer and they have seemed to vanished. None of my cameras are close to bedding too....

I know deer browse a lot and im hunting mostly mixed swamp with cattails that has large rolling woods between a 3 different private corn fields and 1- 100 acre dry bean field.
What im trying to figure out is 1, where the heck did they all go, 2 what are they eating, 3 Is it possible they are on that corn already and its all private so I cant check it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”