Swamp Donkey Bedding question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stingray713
500 Club

Swamp Donkey Bedding question

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:52 pm

I'll try to keep this under 1000 words.

Season opens October 3rd, and I've had trouble getting on any big sign until this past weekend. Made a long walk into a big public land area I've never been to look for isolated oaks amongst the pines and cutovers that make up a lot of this spot.

Field in the picture is beans, probably has received some pressure as far as guys checking cameras, but I didn't see much sign of people in the pines. Found big fresh rubs on most of the edges I walked adjacent to the field, and was pretty happy with a plan of setting up close to whichever point or ditch in the thick stuff had rubs leading to the patches of oaks that bordered the old logging road.

On my way out I decided to check out the swampy looking feature on the map and found that it's a legit swamp that holds some big bucks and probably an ogre. There were trails coming in and out and rubs that made the ones up the hill look small.

So, finally arriving at a question. No doubt a big buck or bucks are bedding in or on the edge of this swamp. I didn't snoop around much after seeing those trails and rubs cuz I felt like I was being watched haha.

What advantage does this swamp give the bucks? There are good wind based beds on top, but there are more acorns in the bottom. (The swamp empties into a small river). Prevailing wind usually has a westerly component.

Just not sure how to set-up. I know I need to scout the area more, but I'm not sure what areas to focus on or avoid because of all the fresh buck sign and the amount of food and potential bedding.

Sorry for rambling on. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I know you guys are busy trying to kill your own deer :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Strategically Inefficient
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Swamp Donkey Bedding question

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:49 pm

The swamp offers more security. It is hard to tell from the map, is that a sort of peninsula of trees jutting into the swamp? See if you can find sat maps taken in different seasons like on Google Earth to see if you can make out more detail on the swamp.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Stingray713
500 Club

Re: Swamp Donkey Bedding question

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:55 am

I've looked at the leaf off view, but the swamp looks the same. Just dead standing timber, dont think any deer are bedding in the actual swamp, but the edges of it look to be holding deer. Gonna set up on it early Saturday morning and see what happens!
Strategically Inefficient

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”