Input wanted! Huge buck spotted!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Luke Carpenter

Input wanted! Huge buck spotted!

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:11 am

Hey, beasts! So, I got a question for you! I was turkey hunting Saturday morning and totally by surprise, I had the biggest buck I've ever seen walk by 10 yards away! He came from a crop field across a heavily traveled "highway" like road, and followed a runway along a ridgeline right to me. He then went down a steep ridge in front of me, fed on white oaks for 30 minutes, and then went down into a cattail bottom. This was a good half hour after light on an average day weather-wise. So, what I'm wondering is, what are the odds that when I get the same wind (south) opening week, that if I set up there again that he will come through? It was really strange, this was a crazy heavily pressured, public land spot, but I was in a small 4-5 acre "overlooked island" of woods 100 yards from a highway, when I saw him. But the weird part is how relaxed & careless he was right in front of me. He acted like a button buck personality-wise. Yet, he was a mature tank of a buck. So, anyways, I'd like some input on this! Feel free to ask questions & I'll try to answer them! I'm going give the spot a try regardless, and then try to figure out potential bedding & hunt around the area anyways. But your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Input wanted! Huge buck spotted!

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:43 am

Well if the season has yet to open then he hasnt been pressured yet. That would explain why hes relaxed. Thats cool you got to see a good one in the morning. Thats a rare sight this time of year.

As far him doing the same thing - if hunters dont bother him and the oaks are still dropping then why not..? Decide if you need to get closer to the bed or not and go for it! In fact, one early season trick is having a smoking hot oak patch by their bed and being able to kill them in the mornings this time of year. People dont talk about it bc like I said its a rarity but can be done and can be a big buck. I would get in real early and prepare for possibility of hunters kicking deer around.

Dont rule out hunting the evening though!
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:46 am

That's great advice! Thanks!
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:54 am

Luke Carpenter wrote:That's great advice! Thanks!

Just curious what time of the day?
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:19 am

About a half-hour after legal shooting light. And I watched him till' like 8:20. So an hour after legal shooting light.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:48 am

Luke Carpenter wrote:About a half-hour after legal shooting light. And I watched him till' like 8:20. So an hour after legal shooting light.

Thats later than I would have guessed. Was it a cold front that morning? I know you said he was relaxed but was he watching his back trail? Or was there a 180* wind shift?
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Weather-wise It was exactly the same as the past several days. Normal temperature & pretty strong consistent 10-15 mph winds from the south-maybe south west. So, everything was very ordinary. Im gonna try to hunt it The day after the opener and there will be a big temperature drop. Looks like it'll be 36 degrees that morning & possible pressure from the surrounding areas should push deer into that bedding area. And like you said I'll try to get there im hoping 3 hours before light. So, im excited to give it a try!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:01 pm

sounds like a great early season spot.

Was it a wind shift?
Hopefully you keep track of what the wind was when you saw him so where your season opens you can hunt that spot on that wind.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:49 am

Any update?
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:22 pm

Yes!!! Here's my update! So I went in last Friday as planned & on the evening hunt, I saw another, different, but really nice buck. Not near as big as the first buck I saw but a dandy for around here nonetheless. He, unfortunately, came in on the wrong side of me though. He ended up passing by 15 yds away, and made a scrape, but it was too thick for me to get what i thought was a clean shot. So I passed. So I went back Sunday evening with the right wind again and adjusted my set, but I didn't end up seeing anything that night. Then this morning I went back for another try with it being cooler this morning then it's been for a while. I snuck in nice & early, perfectly silent, & found a tree to set up on the ground by up above the creek bottom. The creek bottom below me had two trails where I suspected the bucks would use to come back to their beds. At 8:15 the buck I saw last Friday night came cruising by and gave me a nice 30 yd shot! He's my biggest Michigan bow buck to date & I couldn't be any happier!!! Thanks for all your helps guys!! The big ones still out there, though!!! I saw him after I shot mine! So fingers crossed I can get him with my second tag!! Thanks, again!! Im ecstatic!!! On the ground, in mid-Michigan, on public land, on October 9th. Thanks, again! Pictures to come!!!
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm

IMG_20201009_210626057_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20201009_210815052_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Great looking buck...congratulations!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:12 pm

Congrats!
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:19 pm

Congrats! Always happy to see another michigan guy get it done on the ground. Bet that hunt was exciting!
JAB
500 Club

Unread postby JAB » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:00 am

Thats awesome, congratulations!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”