Skirting an island

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Skirting an island

Unread postby Zephyrus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:10 am

20200928_140030.jpg

This is NOT the island I am planning to hunt.

But assume this is 150 yards point to point, 7- trees in an opening in the center, which is 3-5 foot tall grasses (yellow). There is a bit of a high point "ridge" running along center (blue). Trees along a ridge around perimeter, which is a rolling ridge, maybe 30 -40 ft high from swamp grass to the opening above. Deer trail running around island approx 1/3from top.

Predominant wind noted for reference.

When skirting the edge of the island to get to the red dot, do I walk on the swamp grass, inside the treeline, or in the grass up top?

I would assume I want to stay away from the more open area because my wind will blow the entire open area.

Swamp grass is noisy, but while reasonably thick, the woods are a bit more open, but I'd have a hard time seeing something standing still 40 yards away.

...what to do, what to do...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Zephyrus

Re: Skirting an island

Unread postby Zephyrus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:03 am

I would think I would have to go way around in the marsh grass to get tonthe other side. Any idea how far scent travels if the grass is thick, over my head, or at best, only my head sticks out? Its over 300 yards to come from a different direction...
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Just looking at your stand placement I’d think your scent would blow right to the deer you were wanting to shoot. On that wind I’d slip in on the east side (assuming that is a WNW wind as you have it drawn) and climb on the SE side of the island. Deer should be upwind of you and judging by the trails in the marsh your wind won’t blow out over much in the way of deer sign. Appears to me the bulk of the trails will funnel them right past you as they enter the island to the SSW.

In short I’d take the right red arrow approach and set up to the east of your stand dot.

Bio1
Zephyrus

Unread postby Zephyrus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:23 pm

Thanks.

I used a different pic since the island i am hunting is pretty obvious to anyone hunting my piece of public. So in haste I put my desired location in the spot i wanted to be on that island...

The wind is the predominant wind in the area, I'd be hoping for a NNW on that island to keep me safe getting to the island.

I like the idea of setting more to the east though, as I didn't focus on bedding movements due to wind - just on the trees off that point in the swamp grass on the real island...
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:18 am

Gotcha - good luck with them!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:40 am

If I am understanding you want to setup for bedding under trees off the point of the island not bedding on the island. If satellite deer are bedded on the island and you want to avoid spooking them you will have to swing south of the island (or whatever is downwind in the actual scenario) in the water Like your red arrow. If there aren’t satellites or you don’t care about bumping them then it makes no difference which way you access as long as you don’t get upwind of the target bedding or cross the trails leading from them to you.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Zephyrus

Unread postby Zephyrus » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:26 pm

PK_ wrote:If I am understanding you want to setup for bedding under trees off the point of the island not bedding on the island.If satellite deer are bedded on the island and you want to avoid spooking them you will have to swing south of the island (or whatever is downwind in the actual scenario) in the water Like your red arrow. If there aren’t satellites or you don’t care about bumping them then it makes no difference which way you access as long as you don’t get upwind of the target bedding or cross the trails leading from them to you.

I understand. Thank you very much - I got the answer I expected, but didn't want to hear :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”