Deer crossing creeks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Deer crossing creeks

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:47 am

I am going to throw a few sits on a area on state land where a big wide creek splits this state land. The bedding area is up against this creek. This creek is probably 75 yards wide or more where this bedding area is. If the deer cross the creek they can get to a clover patch the state planted. Will the deer cross that big of a area to hit that clover ? I dont have a way of water to try and sneak up on these deer or I would. if I were to try and get close to them on the side of the creek they are on they would smell me. The wind is always blowing that way in the fall. That is why I think its a good bedding area

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Deer crossing creeks

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 am

They very well may as long as its not too deep. If you can get close to that bedding all the better- instead of waiting for them to cross into the clover. That may be a nightime feeding location depending on the pressure. But I would definitely throw some sits in there and see what they are doing.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:02 am

Mike, thanks for the reply. It may be a night time feeding spot. Where they are bedding it is a hike to a crop field. And I know there are stands between the bedding and the crop fields. So I would think that feeding is more night time. I actually found a kayak to use so I think on the first south west wind I get I’m going to kayak in after work and see what I see, see how deep the water is and see what it’s about. From a map it almost looks like there could be a tree or two in the middle. Idk yet. I will post back when I find out
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:41 pm

Hildebrand wrote:Mike, thanks for the reply. It may be a night time feeding spot. Where they are bedding it is a hike to a crop field. And I know there are stands between the bedding and the crop fields. So I would think that feeding is more night time. I actually found a kayak to use so I think on the first south west wind I get I’m going to kayak in after work and see what I see, see how deep the water is and see what it’s about. From a map it almost looks like there could be a tree or two in the middle. Idk yet. I will post back when I find out

No problem, yeah let me know! If you take that kayak check for travel routes or tracks on each side of the creek to see if and where they are crossing. Can use that and back track to bedding. Maybe there’s some rubs or scrapes along that travel route too. Good luck!
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:52 am

Good luck!

I have had some bad experiences in creek crossings because the wind seems to swirl.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”