First Public Land Whitetail Hunt is a Win!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

camelcluch
500 Club

First Public Land Whitetail Hunt is a Win!

Unread postby camelcluch » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:42 pm

There has always been something about whitetail that has me captivated. Last year I set out to try my hand in chasing whitetails on public land. I slowly gathered all the gear I needed and learned a ton a long the way. On Wednesday I headed to Kansas for a quick hunt and first time with my new skills. On Thursday morning I set up in a cedar over a pond. Three does skirted around but I saw deer! In the afternoon I spent some time looking around and found a spot I thought would be good. I saw 16 does and had one little 4 point at 6 yards. No shots were taken but I’m calling this a win. I had a few goals for this tag. First, get in a tree without dying. Check it off as accomplished thanks to Beast Sticks and Tethrd gear. Second, see a deer inside 30 yards. Check. Last, see a buck. Check again.
Thanks to everyone here for the knowledge and help you all provided. I’ll be headed back soon as elk season winds down. Hopefully I can get drawn back on a nice doe or buck.

Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Re: First Public Land Whitetail Hunt is a Win!

Unread postby Zephyrus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Never
Ever
Ever
Ever

Give up

Congrats!!
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:44 pm

Great attitude! Keep adding up those wins.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:39 am

Nice!
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:55 am

This type of hunting is so different from what I’m used too. It is fun to get out and try something new. Plus I’m not climbing 2000 vertical feet over dead fall to get to a spot. Last, I just love Land scapes of the Midwest.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:14 am

:dance: :dance:

Great attitude.
First sit went well. On public.

Who would have guessed that was possible?¿??
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:56 am

Quick update. I have been out a few times now. I have seen some smaller bucks and a ton of does. Still looking for something respectable. Well, this morning still in the dark I had a nice buck walk by me at 10 yards! Check off seeing a nice buck. Let’s see if I can catch up to this guy.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:34 am

Good luck!!
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:59 am

Good luck! Go get em!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:02 am

Sounds like you are doing a bunch of stuff right - it will all come together pretty shortly here. Doing great!
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Update, again...
I shot a small doe and am very happy to have the meat plus the experience. However, about 30 minutes before I had a very nice buck come in. 30 yards and looked like the size of a semi. I settled my pin and shot. I did not see the arrow fly or the arrow hit but heard the arrow strike. As the buck ran off I could see blood. Yes!! No.... the shot looked high. Here it comes. My arrow was nice and bloody but not the way you want it to look. The arrow smelled like deer not death or guts. After several hours of looking, tracking and crawling, I only found one speck of blood that was a tad fleshy. Nooooooooo! I think I hit a little too high and hit where it doesn’t count. One, I held for 35 but he was a few yards closer and maybe he ducked a bit. Either way it’s an excuse and I’ll use all I can. The sun was in my eyes. The wind was bad. Kansas deer are ninjas. I’m more about catch and release. Awe, this sucks.
Anyway, thanks to everyone here for the info that helped me on this hunt. Whitetail is awesome and I’ll be back.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:36 pm

Update to my update. A buddy called last night and they found my buck. At one point we were about 10 yards from where he was laying. He died in grass that is about shoulder high and we just did not see him there. While walking to another stand location he saw a deer leg in the trail. The coyotes ate him up but it’s a successful hunt. Mixed feelings but still happy to put my tag on this deer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”