Scent control!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

Scent control!

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:26 pm

I’ve always hunted in jeans and tshirt or flannel. Had some extra cash laying around this year so I figured why not I’ll scoop up a early season scentlok suit. Planning to still hunt the wind, I followed the scentlok regime to a t, back pack boots and all. Figured it couldn’t hurt if I still planned my stands around the wind, in the off case a deer came where I didn’t expect it maybe it would pay off. Had a little four point come in tonight downwind, he spooked the instance he walked where my milkweed blew to, actually spooked faster then any deer iv had downwind :lol: to jeans and a t. The scentlok is nice at keeping mosquitoes away and wickening moisture tho.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Scent control!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:58 pm

Sweet! Believe I read once by a pro staff member to get the full benefit of a scentlok suit u need to get dropped by helicopter. That’s how u can tell it really works. :?
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Screenshot_20200925-021056_Google.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:58 pm

If it makes you feel more confident going into a hunt than it's worth it.

From what I have read from scientist it would take 600 degrees to reactivate the carbon which a household drier doesn't get close too. 600 would also melt the garment.

I'm not against expensive clothes if they help you stay in the stand longer in rough conditions or boost your confidence. Predator camo alone many people swear by the pattern since it prevents you from looking like a dark blob.
Sitka for extreme cold. Icebreaker for extreme cold. Badlands for durability. Asat because it blends in best at ground level being a tan base. So I do think they all have their individual uses.

That being said I would never wear Blue or Yellow into the woods all animals can see those colors. Blue is way brighter to a animal eye then a human eye.

In the old days I put charcoal all over my clothes or campfire smoke. The Indians used to use smoke before a hunt they believed in it and they snuck up on everything.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:21 pm

Zephyrus wrote:Screenshot_20200925-021056_Google.jpg

I remember this movie - LOL.
Kind of old... :mrgreen:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:07 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:In the old days I put charcoal all over my clothes or campfire smoke. The Indians used to use smoke before a hunt they believed in it and they snuck up on everything.

Yep. Cover scent. Actual science behind that. Smoke can be a naturally occuring smell and is not as startling to the wildlife.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:40 am

When you walk into a pizza restaurant, you smell pizza. When a deer walks in it smells flour, yeast, water, tomatoes, garlic, dairy (the milk in the cheese), the individual spices in the pepperoni.... I don't think you're fooling a deer with cover scents.

If you put deer urine on your boots, they're going to small a hunter who stepped in urine. If you rub your clothes in charcoal they'll small a hunter who spent some time near a campfire. But the important point being, they still smell the hunter.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:38 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:When you walk into a pizza restaurant, you smell pizza. When a deer walks in it smells flour, yeast, water, tomatoes, garlic, dairy (the milk in the cheese), the individual spices in the pepperoni.... I don't think you're fooling a deer with cover scents.

If you put deer urine on your boots, they're going to small a hunter who stepped in urine. If you rub your clothes in charcoal they'll small a hunter who spent some time near a campfire. But the important point being, they still smell the hunter.

This right here. I love the analogy. I heard it a while ago, and it has always stuck with me.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:25 am

Mmmm - Pizza (in my best Homer Simpson voice) 8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:29 am

I used to buy the fancy clothing when I was younger and living with my parents so I had money to spend on the expensive stuff. Now I buy the cheap cabelas brand camo and have no complaints. Like you said the moisture wicking capabilities of the more expensive stuff was nice...especially the under armour gear that I no longer fit into :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”