Hillcountry With Little to No Wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Hillcountry With Little to No Wind

Unread postby Trout » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:17 am

Just a couple days away from my first archery opener of the season down in OH. I'm heading down tomorrow night to hunt Saturday through monday. I've hunted this area for a couple years now but never early season. I scouted it this summer and identified some spots worth scouting my way into for the early season, with a focus on water sources. Its looking like prevailing winds will be out if the south but not a whole lot of wind- under 10mph Saturday through Monday when I will be in the woods. But mostly under 5mph. It will be all thermals.

How do you think there being little to no prevailing wind will impact bedding? On paper, with a prevailing southerly wind, deer would be bedded on north facing slopes with cover behind them, using the rising thermal and sight to monitor what's in front of them.

But with little to no prevailing wind, the thermal should in effect become the prevailing wind direction and overpower the south wind so they won't be able to rely on smelling from two directions. Am I thinking about that right? If so, when that happens, where do you typically see bedding?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Hillcountry With Little to No Wind

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:32 pm

You might be able to catch one in slightly less secure bedding closer to food around the opener.
If not I would look at little knobs where they can pick up thermals from multiple directions and points between and in drainages where the wind and thermals shift around a lot.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:43 pm

I don’t know about where you would typically see bedding-it’s highly variable in hill country. I am struggling with the light south wind forecast in WV also-it’s not ideal. They may be bedding more based on cover than wind. I plan to setup based on a south wind but knowing thermals may be stronger than wind.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks, guys, appreciate the feedback. Its nice to bounce ideas around. I've got 3 days, may call in Tuesday to get an extra day and try to take advantage of the cold front coming. I am going to still hunt and glass tomorrow morning at sun up and see how the deer are playing things, then scout till the evening hunt. Good luck to everyone!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:29 am

Bumped what I am pretty sure was a buck as I scouted a ridge this morning. It was 20 minutes past first light, he was already bedded. Single deer, busted up, paused then bound off and snorted. Heavy footsteps as it ran off.

https://youtu.be/VawKJ1g60PI
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:13 am

Do you like scouting hill country from the bottom up?

I’ll be going tomorrow for my first time in hills and was planning on walking the field edges up top then follow trails/sign down.

I’m not sure if this is good or bad game plan. Thanks
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:47 am

Quest1001 wrote:Do you like scouting hill country from the bottom up?

I’ll be going tomorrow for my first time in hills and was planning on walking the field edges up top then follow trails/sign down.

If I’m scouting I usually try to go whatever way puts the wind or thermals in my favor.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:52 am

Ok makes sense.

I was thinking find the deer first then work the wind/thermals second.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:29 am

I just don’t like deer to smell me if possible. Scouting and spooking deer or having deer see you or come back through and get your ground scent is one thing. But having a deer especially a good buck straight up smell you while you are scouting is not a good thing this close to or during season whatever it may be for you.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:22 pm

brancher147 wrote:
Quest1001 wrote:Do you like scouting hill country from the bottom up?

If I’m scouting I usually try to go whatever way puts the wind or thermals in my favor.

Yeah, I would agree with brancher. I only came up from the bottom because I had to. I kinda like scouting top down if possible. That said, if I would have came from the top, the same thing would have happened with that particular deer I bumped.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”