Ain’t that a peach!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Ain’t that a peach!

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:54 am

Did a spot check scouting mission on a piece of public not to far from this house this morning in a light rain. As I started getting close to an area I intended on hunting this year I started seeing the dreadful flagging tape.

The spot is hard to get to and have never seen any human traffic in there. Basically due to the terrain, you walk about 500 yards from parking area. Then hook around back towards the way u came. End up about 150 yards from parking lot but it’s the only way in there.

I followed the hunters flagging tape for about 100 yards and it dead ended to a trail camera. The funny part is the camera was pointed at one of my salt lick sites from the summer. I pulled the salt block months ago. Guess the hunter saw a bunch of trails coming together and thought he found the holy grail. I also wonder if he might have assumed it was a big scrape.Its dug up pretty good and cans see how someone might misinterpret the situation.

I’m hoping it’s someone who just is trying to get some pics and will move along. Didn’t see no sign of stand prepping. But I’m a bit disappointed, I found the spot 2 years ago. Ran cams all last season there and never hunted it. Got pics of 3 good bucks last rut one being a very nice buck. Didn’t get anything big on the salt there this summer so I was planning on hammering it between Nov 17-23. That’s when I got every pic of the big boys last year. Gonna monitor the area best I can and see how active the hunter is. Guess that’s how it goes..... Rats!

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Cvanheel

Re: Ain’t that a peach!

Unread postby Cvanheel » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:06 am

I was hunting one of those hard to reach never seen anyone else there types of places last weekend, and I kept hearing this beeping noise that sounded like it was getting closer. Spent 15 min trying to figure out what kind of bird it was. I caught some movement coming through the thickest nastiest stuff around. Here it is a bird hunter and his dog with a locator collar. Dangdest thing i ever saw. He waved shouted sorry he didn't know anyone was back this far then proceeded to bird hunt right back into the bedding area. You got to love public. lol
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 am

There goes that egg. Good thing beasts have multiple eggs in multiple baskets!!!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:18 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:There goes that egg. Good thing is beasts have multiple eggs in multiple baskets!!!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:48 am

Shucks!!! Just had something like that happen to me too back in an isolated spot started finding some sign and then saw a camera.
Haste makes waste
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 am

Thems the breaks boy...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:17 am

All good in da hood! Thanks fellas. My goal is to find one new sweet spot each passing year. In a game of pressured public what’s ripe this season isn’t always top produce the next. Suppose it’s good to have options. But dang it I can’t hold honesty back. Would pretty much guarantee this hunter doesn’t have a clue why it’s a good spot. More of friendly fire screwing the pooch. Don’t mean it to come across as crying, I’m certain I dummied on several folks spots in my time. Just a bit more painful when u r the recipient lol!
-John Wayne-
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Just assume it's another beast. If it's that hard to get to, they're probably back there for a reason. If you know where the only parking is, you at least know when it's occupied and how often.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:50 pm

SneakyHunter wrote:Just assume it's another beast. If it's that hard to get to, they're probably back there for a reason. If you know where the only parking is, you at least know when it's occupied and how often.

Maybe different up north but around here everyone is a “beast” hunter. Literally 9/10 people specifically say “I won’t hunt close to the road” and I find that to be true
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:00 pm

I feel your pain .. I've already had about enough of this season.

Had a pretty remote camera grow legs....

Then had another TWO illegal bait sites go in on a small ridge and cameras over both. In Pennsylvania, baiting, minerals etc is illegal on state game lands period. All bait/minerals etc on private land must be completely removed 30 days prior to the season. So...illegal no matter what they thought.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:35 pm

I do believe the beast is expanding the mind and encouraging hunting public ground. For the most part I don’t care and feel it’s a good thing. Another part of me understands the facts of life. Most quit anything at the first sign of adversity. So I watch and wait for once again fruitful opportunity. Just a matter of time imo.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”