What a night!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad
500 Club

What a night!

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:09 pm

So, last night I went out to hunt. Just another night of managed hunt I was drawn for, along with 150 other people... The woods have been busy to say the least. Everybody had been seeing monster bucks all over before the season began, and since opening day, everybody says they're seeing nothing. I was heading out to a new location I felt would be away from the crowds of people near the ag fields and looked good for the predicted wind direction, which seemed to hold pretty true once I go there. I had a goal to be extremely disciplined in my approach, being undetectable to anything around me, and my approach actually ended up pretty good. Once there, I had trouble finding a good tree to set up in, I mad e the mistake of wandering a little too much to find a good spot. Went up in a tree only to come back down and wander some more... I knew that was a mistake. Eventually went back to the tree I was up in, and only went up about 8 feet of the ground, but it felt like a good spot. The tree was so big my climbing stick strap had less than an inch to grab. By the time I set up I already had fawns coming around browsing, then a couple does here and there. It was more deer than I had been seeing on any sit so far and it was still early , so I was optimistic. I evan saw a few turkeys off about 80-90 yards away, but they easily saw me barely poking my head around the tree and ran off... I'm glad deer can't see as well as turkeys... I was sitting there thinking this is a great night even if I don't end up taking a deer... then about 180 degrees behind me I noticed a deer stepping out of the brushy drainage and he appeared to have antlers. I started hunting from a saddle this year so him being behind me was actually quite comfortable. I looked through the range finder and confirmed it was a indeed buck. I had only seen one other buck while actually hunting once before. He was browsing behind a tree about 45 yards away. I grabbed my bow and my range finder to get a better look, then he looked up at me. I stared through my rangefinder at him for what seemed like an eternity until he finally moved on for a brief moment before once again staring directly at me completely still. I figured it was about to be over. Then he started browsing and I noticed he was walking into a shooting lane. I had previously said I wanted to keep my shots inside 25 yards but might be willing to take a 30 yard shot... he was going to be right at 30 yards... he stepped into the spot and I drew back and let her rip. The lighted nock flew right into a downed tree right behind where the buck had been standing. He ran off and I didn't hear him fall. I didn't know wheat to expect. I waited several minutes and caught my breath, then decided I would get down... but then I saw two does browsing to about 10:00 on my left. I calmly nocked another arrow, then attached my release, and ranged her at about 20 yards. I drew back and let it rip! The lighted nock hit her in the shoulder and stopped like it hit a brick wall. She started to run then I heard a snap and watched my lighted nock fall to the ground. I caught my breath again and walked first over to the doe arrow, which I discovered was only about the back third of the arrow. It appears the arrow went through her left shoulder, than stopped as it hit the far shoulder. The amount of arrow missing was about the width of a doe. I then went down to see if there was even any blood on the buck arrow, and there was. I started to walk in the direction I though they went and there he was, laying on the ground no more than 20 yards from where I hit him. I had done it. A goal I had for this season was to take a public land buck, and I had just accomplished that goal. It felt amazing! He was just a small 9 pointer, probably no more than 100" if that, and likely a 2.5 year old, but it was my first buck taken on public land and my first buck taken with a bow. Unfortunately after hours of my brother and I searching this morning, I was unable to locate the doe. I have no doubt she died, but I hate that she likely suffered and that she didn't end up in my freezer. But man, I will never forget last night.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: What a night!

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Great job! Hes not “just a small 9”. He’s your first in a couple different categories ! Consider him THE 9!!!
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:30 pm

matt1336 wrote:Great job! Hes not “just a small 9”. He’s your first in a couple different categories ! Consider him THE 9!!!

yea, he's the only 9 i've got! I'm pretty happy about it. It was such a great night. Long story, but I wanted to share it in case somebody else likes to hear other peoples stories.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Very nice! This is still my goal! I really hope to get it done like you just did!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm

Holy samoleans!

Great job and congrats!! :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:15 pm

Great job! Post pics when you have time. You are a beast!
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:49 pm

Congrats!!
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:23 am

Way to go!! Sounds like an awesome hunt, congrats on finally sealing the deal on a buck!
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:24 am

Congratulations! Sounds like a fun hunt!
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:52 am

Nice job on the buck! :clap: Sounds like an awesome hunt. Can't wait to see the pics.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:50 am

You asked for some pics, so here is what I have. That's actually a pretty funny story too.. I used my headlamp strap to tie my phone to a skinny little tree branch and set the timer on my phone camera to get the pic. It only took me two tries. Ha!

Buck_2.jpg

the buck & I.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:10 am

Nice job!

I like in the story that you admitted to a few mistakes. The fact you kept pushing - golden.

Don't feel bad about the "little 9" - I've yet to get a buck... my standards have shifted since I was younger, but am confident I am getting one this year.

Again, great job!
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Zephyrus wrote:Nice job!

I like in the story that you admitted to a few mistakes. The fact you kept pushing - golden.

Don't feel bad about the "little 9" - I've yet to get a buck... my standards have shifted since I was younger, but am confident I am getting one this year.

Again, great job!

yea, I make alot of mistakes, there's no denying that. In this particular hunt my goal was a very stealth approach. I didn't want anything to know I came in to the area. I feel like I did pretty well there, but was not so great after that. I learn something new almost every time I hunt. Some day I'll get good at it. Until then, I will just smile and enjoy my small victories.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:45 pm

Congrats
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Congrats brad!! :clap: :dance: :clap:

Feels great to get a buck down 8-)