Tactics following EHD outbreak

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHALK_1

Tactics following EHD outbreak

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:11 am

For anyone that has hunted the fall after a summer of EHD, just wondering how you adjusted your approach to the season? We are going through our first and pretty bad EHD outbreak in southern NY. I've found 30+ dead on a hundred acres myself. Although we did get our first frosts the last 2 mornings, hopefully that helps..It's pretty disheartening, especially this year.

For those of you that have been successful following a summer of EHD, what did (or did you not) change in your strategy?

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: Tactics following EHD outbreak

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:07 am

Where are your located? Your profile isn’t filled out.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:30 am

From my experiences with that last year around here my best advice would be to somewhere else that it isn’t occurring. Not that some big bucks won’t make it through but it’s tough as well as a confidence buster when you start finding good ones dead or hear about them being found dead.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 am

The area I'm referring to is Orange and Putnam counties along the I-84 corridor.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:54 am

It's going to suck. I hunted the same ways as usual but mature buck sightings were nil. Just the nature of the beast. If you can hunt elsewhere, do it
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:13 am

I would locate hunting spots elsewhere now and run cams on these spots to monitor the next few years. Im sure a few will survive you can still kill but it will be different type of hunting exp for sure.

Remember it takes 4+ years to grow a mature buck.
Benny

Unread postby Benny » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:15 am

I am from Sullivan County but also hunt in Orange County. I did a walk around the chunk I hunt and luckily didn’t find or smell any dead deer. Even though Goshen is a stones throw away and they have dozens of dead deer. I am hoping for the best but I know some areas got hit hard. I would set my eyes on some public land in the area even though there isn’t that much. I am really only replying to let you know I am also local to the Hudson Valley haha
CHALK_1

Unread postby CHALK_1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:41 am

It's gotta be in the thousands, I talked to a good friend of mine who found 50 on their a few properties alone. Hunting elsewhere this year makes sense, I'll prob be covering a lot of ground to get on fresh sign, that's a given..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”