Hunting the wind and convection currents

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Hunting the wind and convection currents

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Was reading an article about convection currents and how it affects your hunt. Apparently the wind lets say is blowing in your face with maybe a little off kick, it hits an obstacle behind you like a steep hillside, rock formation, or major terrain change or feature. The wind current shoots up then rolls back down and out in front of you. Almost like a tidal wave effect. Buck comes in, you think everything is correct, he suddenly stops, gets a whiff and he’s gone. Called a convection current. Interesting. Anyone else hear of this or have any experience on this?

PK_
500 Club

Re: Hunting the wind and convection currents

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:46 am

Have not heard it called that. Always thought of it as turbulence or just ‘swirling wind’. I look for places where this happens because bucks travel and bed in these locations for that reason. You have to get just outside the ‘turbulence’ or ‘convection current’ where you get a steady wind and can shoot into that area or where the deer enter/exit...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Re: Hunting the wind and convection currents

Unread postby Zephyrus » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:02 am

This is why it is important to drop milkweed as you are moving - especially while learning the wind currents/thermals/etc.

I just picked another 6 pods this morning, I should grab some more, I dont know what I did with all the stuff from last year.
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”