Hunting the wind and convection currents

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Hunting the wind and convection currents

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:59 pm

Was reading an article about convection currents and how it affects your hunt. Apparently the wind lets say is blowing in your face with maybe a little off kick, it hits an obstacle behind you like a steep hillside, rock formation, or major terrain change or feature. The wind current shoots up then rolls back down and out in front of you. Almost like a tidal wave effect. Buck comes in, you think everything is correct, he suddenly stops, gets a whiff and he’s gone. Called a convection current. Interesting. Anyone else hear of this or have any experience on this?

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Hunting the wind and convection currents

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:15 pm

It was actually a video not an article . I’m wondering if convection current is another word as a thermal?
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:23 pm

You can see this with milk weed. I’ve never heard it referred to as convection currents, but it’s talked about and known. It’s different then thermals, which are basically temperature created air drafts. Cool air falling, hot air rising. While what you are describing is how that air is moving around objects/terrain.
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:46 pm

MichiganMike wrote:It was actually a video not an article . I’m wondering if convection current is another word as a thermal?

https://youtu.be/Np4cwtuvGKU

If i remember correctly, its described in here.

Also in the bedding videos in more detail
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Zephyrus wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:It was actually a video not an article . I’m wondering if convection current is another word as a thermal?

https://youtu.be/Np4cwtuvGKU

If i remember correctly, its described in here.

Also in the bedding videos in more detail

Right. Also dan talks about it in one of his podcasts. He hits it right in the head. I just didn’t realize there was a term for it I guess. Must be some meteorology term. Here a the podcast https://youtu.be/9fFH3nLdhsM

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”