Scared of the dark or just dont like shooting deer? q

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Scared of the dark or just dont like shooting deer? q

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:57 pm

I had to work today and could not hunt, i did have time to make a lap around a huge public marsh located close to my house, just to see how many guys were hunting. Season closes today at 7:17, but I started seeing people at their vehicles putting their "archery" equipment away at 6:45, the one spot had 4-5 guys all putting their xbows in the truck at 7:15!!! Honestly, I think over half the "bow" hunters I saw were already in their cars by the close of season!!! If they were hunting any distance at all away from their cars i would think that they wouldnt hit the road till at least 30-60 minutes after the closing time. Is this normal for public land? I almost always hunt right up to the buzzer and then start packing up my stuff, that alone usually takes me 15 minutes by the time i take it all down and get everything tied back down to my stand.

Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Re: Scared of the dark or just dont like shooting deer? q

Unread postby Zephyrus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:11 pm

I stop when its too dark to see my sights. I might stalk my way to a lighter area if its thick where I was, but it dont do me any good to sit if I can't see.

That said, I can usually see just fine until the final few minutes...
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
sureshotscott
500 Club

Unread postby sureshotscott » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Ran into a guy in the parking area near a hillcountry public spot. He was taking advantage of the elevation to make phone calls. After discussing this and that he straight-up told me he doesn't like hunting into the evening hours. I can sort of understand the difficulty of retrieving a downed critter late at night. But I don't care, dusk is obviously a great time to be in the woods.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:23 pm

I have noticed the same thing multiple times. I used to hunt a national forest and the roads got almost zero traffic unless hunting season and if I was setup within ear shot of the road I was always amazed at how much traffic i always heard right around shooting time. Most times i would still be in the tree and everyone would be leaving. Not sure what it is just always chalked it up to guys being uneasy in the dark...
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm

The wolves, bears and cougars loose their fear of humans when it gets dark. They sometimes will stalk you. :mrgreen:
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:58 pm

If a guy is up a tree hunting in the "can't kill em from the couch" mode, he's probably pretty distracted and heads out at first excuse.

As a kid I was always waiting back at the car for a while when dad would get there. Nowadays I usually need a light to pack up and find my way out, if it's not a full moon.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:59 pm

A lot of people are afraid of the dark, and aren’t comfortable with navigation in the dark
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:13 pm

I have a buddy that has had panic attacks when he’s in the woods when it’s dark. I dont get it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Most “hunters” are afraid of dark, afraid of water and afraid to go more than a few hundred yards deep in the woods because the boogieman lives there.

I’m usually pushing one hour to get out and have taken over two hours many times. Walking in the dark even without a light never phased me. I can’t understand how a grown man can be so fearful. Must be worried Sasquatch will get em’. :lol:
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Well everyone thinks they have to film their hunts now , pry out of camera light lol. Wouldn’t wanna shoot one off camera smh......
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:03 pm

john1984 wrote:The wolves, bears and cougars loose their fear of humans when it gets dark. They sometimes will stalk you. :mrgreen:

It can happen in the day light too if you really want to scare people. Less so with bears but lots of stories of wolves tracking guys out of the woods. ;)
ButtonBuckFever

Unread postby ButtonBuckFever » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:13 pm

I had a buddy have a breakdown at prime time once. Guys do have a fear of the dark.

I did have a couple of coyotes stalk me trying to make my way to the stand in the dark. That was pretty creepy.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:02 pm

This is a interesting thread.
I think most humans feel vaunerable in the dark to a degree.

I am not a fan of night navigation myself im always walking into the worst spot imagined , getting turned around, forgetting where to cross the creek in our forest. I do sit till dark and often am cut to pieces by time i get too the vehicle. Ive had lights die half a mile from the vehicle.

98 percent of areas do not bother me to go in at night or day.. That being said when I hunt land between the lakes and a certain wma in kentucky the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Something uncomfortable about the place gives me the chills.

I do think humans are made to sense danger, evil vibes ect. Theirs just some places our instinct tells us to avoid.
If a area has a lack of wildlife, uneasy feeling of being watched i definitely notice it.

I have found things in certain areas I can't explain.Huge bones, tracks ect. Perhaps panther or something I dunno.

The buck I shot last year had me surrounded by coyotes trying to get him out. It was a feeling of being hunted. Even though I knew they were after the dead deer not me the deers blood was all over me. Kept the knife a little closer.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Alot of people are afraid of the dark. People watch to many horror movies lol. People will hurt you faster then any animal will is what i think.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:03 am

Pretty normal from my observations through the years.

I believe most people are afraid of the dark and lack/don't trust their navigation skills.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”