How do you carry your sidearm hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

G-Patt
500 Club

Re: How do you carry your sidearm hunting?

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:30 am

I use a belly band holster. It allows me to move my gun around and up and down my waist if I need to. I find it much more comfortable and maneuverable than an IWB holster and it's still concealed.

On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:44 am

IWB 4 o’clock position, once in the tree something I slide it into my backpack - when I think about it
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:04 am

G-Patt wrote:I use a belly band holster. It allows me to move my gun around and up and down my waist if I need to. I find it much more comfortable and maneuverable than an IWB holster and it's still concealed.

My BIL has one of these - it is an interesting way to go.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:04 am

Mine goes in the pocket in the waist belt of my Eberlestock pack when carrying my saddle gear. Otherwise it’s IWB at 8 o’clock position. (I’m left handed)

Either way it’s easy access. Doesn’t do any good buried in a pack somewhere or left in your vehicle.
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm

jmaas07 wrote:Iwb 5 o'clock

2x

Losing about 15 pounds helped a lot with this.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:57 pm

I appendix carry, concealed, just like I do everywhere I go. I know the managed hunt I'm on currently does not allow firearms other than concealed carry, but it's how I carry even when allowed. If I run into other people, I'd rather them not know. If I ever need to draw, it is located the exact spot I have trained to do so. My suggestion is no matter how you carry, train to draw and properly engage. I do however believe appendix carry is the best option after trying several others. Years ago I was taking a tactical pistol course while carrying in the 4 o'colck position and when I had difficulty drawing my pistol as if my dominant hand were injured, the seasoned MARSOC vet instructor said, "well, then maybe you should reassess the way you carry". I couldn't argue... and I did, and never looked back. To me appendix is very secure, the easiest to conceal from all angles even if wearing a fitted T-shirt, nobody can take my firearm from my holster, I can draw quickly even if in tight quarters or being attacked, and if I ever needed I am able to weak hand draw to stay in the fight. Just my opinion, but wanted to give rational in case someone benefits from it.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:48 am

I use a thigh rig, that way it's easy to reach and fast too draw and get on target but still out of my way and very secure.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:29 pm

milkweed-militia wrote:I've tried to carry like I normally do, but my stand used to and saddle now puts odd pressure on the holster and I'm worried that my pistol may get pushed out.

I use a shoulder strap style fanny pack and am trying to find something to go on the waist belt. I don't want anything that just clips over it though. I'm in some fairly steep hill country that is also very thick and I don't want to risk the holster coming off. Thanks for the replies so far.

I haven't bought it yet but for the same reason you are stating, I found the Urban Carry G3. Seems to check those boxes but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Still debating it. I've been carrying it 6oclock in waist band but want something more secure like you're saying. If I end up getting that one or another one of their models I'll keep you posted.
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:25 pm

If you are carrying for predator protection the only place for a gun imo is on my chest. Spray goes in my right pocket, gun for backup on the chest. Had an encounter on September that made that very real. Spray is more important to me than a gun.

If you're carrying for people protection, whatever is most comfortable and legal.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:38 pm

G-Patt wrote:I use a belly band holster. It allows me to move my gun around and up and down my waist if I need to. I find it much more comfortable and maneuverable than an IWB holster and it's still concealed.

I've been looking at these. My only concern is I have a gut. Do you think it would work and wear well for a fat person?
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:09 am

Groundpounder wrote:If you are carrying for predator protection the only place for a gun imo is on my chest. Spray goes in my right pocket, gun for backup on the chest. Had an encounter on September that made that very real. Spray is more important to me than a gun.

If you're carrying for people protection, whatever is most comfortable and legal.

That's The main reason I carry where I'm at, predators. I've seen the chest holsters that clip on under bino harnesses but besides always having the harness on, I don't know how you'd clip it to your person. Or the stand alone chest holsters, I feel like if you carry a pack the chest strap on pack would maybe obstruct your draw? I'm just spit balling here. Do you carry on chest?
elknturkey

Unread postby elknturkey » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:29 am

I use a gunfightersinc kenai chest holster. Love it. Carries well, doesn't get in the way of a pack and it's still on me when I sit the pack down
4 the chase

Unread postby 4 the chase » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:36 pm

I have the urban carry G3 holster for every day cc. I like it for that but it does restrict some if my leg movement. I don’t think I could climb very well with it. You also need to wear a belt for it to work in my opinion
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:51 pm

Currently in the process of finding a good bear pistol and a chest rig that I like, so I don't have any brand recommendation. Having a hard time finding anything right now with shortages actually. Will prob make one for myself instead.

I am intentionally avoiding anything that hides the gun under or in anything else. I want it on my chest so if I go down I still have a defense close that I don't have to reach far for. Spray will always be my 1st though. I'm not carrying for people obviously.

I do carry a pack. If the chest strap is a problem I will go without it or adjust way up or down. Gun access will take priority for me.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:20 am

Groundpounder, I bet there's a lot of good options for bear protection but I ended up with the Glock 20 gen 4 10mm. I know some ppl hate Glocks but that's what I died with after looking into options. Another plus on that model I thought was that it's a 15 round magazine, plus one in the chamber if you remember to put another in. Thought that might be enough on case of an encounter. I'm kinda digging that gunfighter inc that elknturkey mentioned.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”