Aggressive Moves/Stacking Strategy

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Aggressive Moves/Stacking Strategy

Unread postby Trout » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:23 am

Only one more day until I can start to see the extended forecast for the first day I will be back in the deer woods so my mind is pretty restless. I've been talking with my hunting buddies this morning and was encouraging one to be aggressive instead of holding back when his season opens. With Dan's analogy to smacking them on the rear end and letting them know the game is on echoing through the back of my head, I told him that he can play it safe and let the deer know they're being hunted, or he can be aggressive and let the deer know they're being hunted, but his odds were higher of being successful with the aggressive move. Either way, the deer are going to know they're being hunted and change their habits.

That got me to thinking about stacking, which I have thought of as playing it safe and whittling down an area in hopes that the deer you're hunting will avoid the places you've already hunted and eventually, you will cross paths. But I think I've been looking at stacking all wrong. Is it more a series of aggressive moves rather than safe ones allowing you to hunt a property more than for just one or two single aggressive moves before crossing it off the list? Thanks

MichiganMike
500 Club

Re: Aggressive Moves/Stacking Strategy

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:27 am

Trout wrote:Only one more day until I can start to see the extended forecast for the first day I will be back in the deer woods so my mind is pretty restless. I've been talking with my hunting buddies this morning and was encouraging one to be aggressive instead of holding back when his season opens. With Dan's analogy to smacking them on the rear end and letting them know the game is on echoing through the back of my head, I told him that he can play it safe and let the deer know they're being hunted, or he can be aggressive and let the deer know they're being hunted, but his odds were higher of being successful with the aggressive move. Either way, the deer are going to know they're being hunted and change their habits.

That got me to thinking about stacking, which I have thought of as playing it safe and whittling down an area in hopes that the deer you're hunting will avoid the places you've already hunted and eventually, you will cross paths. But I think I've been looking at stacking all wrong. Is it more a series of aggressive moves rather than safe ones allowing you to hunt a property more than for just one or two single aggressive moves before crossing it off the list? Thanks

Good question. I always thought of stacking as an aggressive process of elimination. you break down a property and hit an aggressive move on each target area of the property . Hit this point/transition one sit, the other side of it another sit etc. I could be wrong though. Like to see everyone's take as well
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Aggressive Moves/Stacking Strategy

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:46 am

You can stack and kill the same day. You can stack by pressuring a property hunting it repetitively or from the outside in. You can also wind bump them.

To do it intentionally, a lot depends on how you bump them (hard or soft), the property size and the deers demeanor. You also better be intimate with the property for all scenarios, knowing the preferred areas / travel and how to move around undetected. Good wind. Time of day. Being lucky sure helps and can produce! Lol

This is not anything I would do intentionally or suggest. Most cases when it happens, I believe it will be by accident and the hunter reacting. The few times I have done it on good deer, that was most definitely the case. The main scenario I consider it most often is other hunting pressure pushing them out. Hunters find the right spots but they hunt them in correctly pushing the deer out.

There are also just some spots in the woods where good bucks live, you cant access it cleanly, they have a major advantage over you, or they wont come out, etc...

One other scenario to consider is stacking a satellite bedded deer into the main bedding area. Hoping the bigger deer will see other deer moving around and decide to get up early. This definitely works but very touchy and I think best results will be in high population areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”