Thermal behavior in taller hills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elGuapo

Thermal behavior in taller hills

Unread postby elGuapo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:55 am

So, I'm hunting on public with some fairly tall hills. Say 1200 feet of vertical in about a mile. There's benches, points and other interesting terrain features at all elevations.

In Dan's hill country DVDs, the hills seem to be of a couple hundred feet of vertical. So, the 1/3 thermal sweet spot should be pretty narrow. The elevation at which one should be looking for buck beds seem to be pretty well defined. But what about taller hills?

Should I focus on the 800 foot mark in my case (1/3 from the top)? Or is the mixing likely to happen closer to the ridge line?
But how do the thermals behave in these 1200 foot hills?
Will the thermal tunnel move its way up the hill as the day progresses and the valley floor heats, and then down again in the evening?
Will that thermal tunnel be at a different elevation on cloudy vs sunny days?

I guess I'm stumped on having too much land to scout.
Thanks.

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Thermal behavior in taller hills

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:10 am

My advice: forget about any specific thermal tunnel and look at fresh sign and terrain and pay attention to wind/thermals. Travel and bedding should be upper 1/3 near the military crest with cover. Also on points upper 1/3 military crest. I tried to find the thermal tunnel as described in bigger hills and mountains and finally gave up on it and now just play wind and thermals to hunt the bedding or sign I need to hunt.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:57 am

brancher147 wrote:My advice: forget about any specific thermal tunnel and look at fresh sign and terrain and pay attention to wind/thermals. Travel and bedding should be upper 1/3 near the military crest with cover. Also on points upper 1/3 military crest. I tried to find the thermal tunnel as described in bigger hills and mountains and finally gave up on it and now just play wind and thermals to hunt the bedding or sign I need to hunt.

What fantastic advice this is! Way to be blunt about it. The deer sign will basically show you what is happening in the terrain.

As far as steepness goes... I find that the thermals can rise very quickly on bluffs or bluff type of ridges. I have found some very good beds on the very edge of a bluff and also in steep, rocky terrrain where its basically a goat trail in/out.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:59 am

Take you time breaking the area down on the map, it gets overwhelming. Be realistic! If youre just hungry to cover ground then go, there is only one solution to that problem! lol

My advice is get on that 1/3 and use cuts/drainages to your advantage. Use them for access, sign checking and try having your scent blowing down them.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:16 am

brancher147 wrote:My advice: forget about any specific thermal tunnel and look at fresh sign and terrain and pay attention to wind/thermals. Travel and bedding should be upper 1/3 near the military crest with cover. Also on points upper 1/3 military crest. I tried to find the thermal tunnel as described in bigger hills and mountains and finally gave up on it and now just play wind and thermals to hunt the bedding or sign I need to hunt.

That is my experience in southern nh granted the Mountains I'm hunting are a little smaller but I've found you'll hit an elevation where there's just more sign or good rubline and focus my scouting along that elevation.
elGuapo

Unread postby elGuapo » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:09 am

Good advice, thanks!

@Tsom - This is west-central NH. So, we're likely hunting similar terrain. Also hunt MA where the hills are tiny by comparison.

I'll be focusing on some modest sized marshes at the lower and mid elevations for this season. Good sign there and at some of the expected locations on the hillsides.
Just thinking ahead for the next scouting season.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:08 am

Yeah similar terrain. I hunt from about Nashua all the way across to Vermont border. I know how you feel about having too much land to scout.. I think I spread myself too thin because I like hunting new areas and don't spend enough time in an area to really figure it out. Doing construction I hunt after work and end up hunting where ever were working. It is nice having lots of options though. Good luck this season!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”