Somebody save me 400 bucks...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Somebody save me 400 bucks...

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:54 am

and talk me out of a saddle. I want one. They look so simple and so fast setting up in a tree for a hunt. Is there any reason to use a stand over a saddle. My climber collects dust since I got a lone wolf. I think if I get a saddle, my lone wolf will collect dust. What say you?

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: Somebody save me 400 bucks...

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 am

Personally in the tree I give a slight edge to the treestand. I get uncomfortable in any saddle after a few hours. Actually though I use a saddle with my treestand as well so it's a bit of a hybrid option that allows the best of both shooting techniques for 360 coverage with ease.

Carrying it is a huge edge toward the typical saddle gear using a small saddle platform.

I feel I can get into more trees more comfortably with a hangon. I hate being in trees that have more than minimal lean in my saddle to the point I avoid leaners unless it's last resort.

I choose one or the other based on how far my hike is and how long I intend to hunt generally though.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:07 am

Go buy one and see how you like it. :lol:
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:23 am

I can't talk you out of one.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:25 am

I’ve had a saddle since 05. Last yr was the first time I actually used it almost exclusively. When most the woods is spruce and pine type trees it sucks cus you have to basically kill the tree to be able to rotate around it and have shots. If I’m in a fixed stand on a straight tree I can basically shoot every where when I stand up..

I got to a point where it’s somewhat comfortable in the saddle but still just yesterday I went to help a friends wife unload some stuff and I seen a bunch of old lone wolfs hanging in the old barn. I’m like crap does he still use those? She said no he’s got a million he use to work in the foundry where they made em. I’m sure he’d give you one.

I think the way I was salivating over those stands speaks Volumes to how highly I think of the saddle.. They are fine but I really can’t say it’s a huge advantage.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:29 am

Just give me $200 and I will kick ya in the nuggets and u can call it a day. Plus u saved $200!

In all seriousness my biggest gripe with a saddle is comfort. I couldn’t stay still to save my life. After 30 minutes of hunting it was constant shifting and adjusting. I also prefer to be in front of a tree versus behind it playing peak a boo. Even when I hunt from the ground I put the cover behind me.

I have found a system that works for me with a hang on. I see no need in looking for something else if I already have something I’m happy with. Compare it to murdering fish then saying I think I need to try a different lure. In my experience the ones constantly changing tackle are the ones not catching squat so they look for answers in the tackle aisle. Usually come back with a Mighty Bite!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:30 am

I’ll save you some money. Sell all of your treestands and safety harnesses then just buy a saddle/platform. You’ll be money ahead. Done deal. :mrgreen:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:59 am

This is one of those subjects:

Guy A) don’t waste your money

Guy B) best $400 you’ll ever spend

;)
KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:00 am

Go the cheap route and get a RCH and buy a sit drag. Attach some 1” tubular webbing to the sit drag for your bridge and call it a day. You’ve got yourself a saddle for less than $100.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:11 am

I like my saddle with the exception of when it gets cold enough for me to be in my IWOM. Haven’t figured out a good way to make that work.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:17 am

Lockdown wrote:This is one of those subjects:

Guy A) don’t waste your money

Guy B) best $400 you’ll ever spend

;)

Yep, I love the idea of a saddle but I just don't have it in me to switch at this point. If anything I would ditch trees and try and do more ground stuff.
Harvester

Unread postby Harvester » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:33 am

I also been looking to go saddle and been keeping my eyes on saddlehunter.com and I can't see you loosing money these guys are trading selling saddles and gear all day and norm they dont last 30 minutes once posted. The community also seems to want to help and I have seen several instances where if you live near members they would help with trying one out etc..
“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
― Winston S. Churchill
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:47 am

Don’t spend 400 on a set start with a sit and drag and a rock climbing harness, you can get into everything for less then 150. Also I have a couple hand made saddles if your interested, I’ll let them go for cheap. One is a mantis clone the other one is bigger. Also you can make a fleece one for cheap, DaveT has a video on it. I would say try it out first before you jump in with 2 feet.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 am

Buy one. Try it out. Then sell it if you feel its not your cup of tea. You’ll end up selling it for almost exactly what you bought it. May lose a few bucks but who cares. At least then you know your stance on it. It’s all personal preference when it comes to choosing between saddle or hang on. I use both plus sometimes a climber. They are all tools to me that have a place and time to be effective.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Dewey wrote:I’ll save you some money. Sell all of your treestands and safety harnesses then just buy a saddle/platform. You’ll be money ahead. Done deal. :mrgreen:

This∆∆∆

Once you are in there is no going back...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”