Experienced beasts advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wihunter95

Experienced beasts advice

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 am

So I shined a buck just after shooting light at the black arrow. The blue dot is where I'm set up on the ground covering 3 possible places he could come from. I didn't scout this spot for bedding, what do you experienced beast hunters think? Since I never scouted I was hoping to at least see where he comes from tonight and maybe make a game plan. Am I on the right track?
Screenshot_20200915-161604.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ghost Hunter

Re: Experienced beasts advice

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:43 am

More detail you can get. Better off you are at putting him on ground. You just have to do homework. I really can not gather much from that picture. I do wish you luck for this coming season.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:More detail you can get. Better off you are at putting him on ground. You just have to do homework. I really can not gather much from that picture. I do wish you luck for this coming season.

The only thing I saw was something moving after dark not sure if it was him or not I wish there was more sign for me to follow. I might just follow the little bit of sign I see and see what I find tommorow night
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:28 pm

chances are he is coming from one of those transition edges. Southwest and Southeast i like the southwest edges more.

This is how i view your map.
Pink transition lines.
Red funnels.
Yellow bowl
Green areas transitions overlap that would get my attention.

I can't tell by your black lines but their is some difference in edges in that area. Is it pines meeting a swamp edge? Looks like it may be worth checking out.

If I was going in blind I would scout and throw some sits at the green dots. Bedding could be anywhere on those lines so odds are you will spook him scouting them.

Screenshot_20200915-224640_Painter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Her[quote="Tennhunter3"]chances are he is coming from one of those transition edges. Southwest and Southeast i like the southwest edges more.

Pink transition lines.
Red funnels.
Yellow bowl

I can't tell by your black lines but their is some difference in edges in that area. Is it pines meeting a swamp edge? Looks like it may be worth checking out.

If I was going in blind I would scout and throw some sits at the green dots. Bedding could be anywhere on those lines so odds are you will spook him scouting them.

Heres a better picture. red line is the creek, the black dot is where i shined him last night(East/Southeast Wind). Tonight(Southwest Wind) i set up at the white dot trying to gather the info. After dark something moved east to west that looked like a deer at the green dot. Couldn't tell but I sat for a few minutes and nothing came by. There was a trail coming from that little opening through the creek. Tomorrow we have a west wind and Im just trying to figure out if I should go in and scout around for a setup or leave it for now and go elsewhere.
ALLENTON.jpg
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

Wihunter95 wrote:Her
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Tomorrow we have a west wind and Im just trying to figure out if I should go in and scout around for a setup or leave it for now and go elsewhere.
ALLENTON.jpg

If you leave it for now and go elsewhere, by the time you come back, he may have left you and gone elsewhere too. Bring your bow, slowly scout your way in and when you find the sign you need just stop and kill him. If you bump him from his bed, at the very least you found his bed... If you don't find any sign of him, you eliminated ground where he is not.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:37 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:chances are he is coming from one of those transition edges. Southwest and Southeast i like the southwest edges more.

Pink transition lines.
Red funnels.
Yellow bowl

Heres a better picture. red line is the creek, the black dot is where i shined him last night(East/Southeast Wind). Tonight(Southwest Wind) i set up at the white dot trying to gather the info. After dark something moved east to west that looked like a deer at the green dot. Couldn't tell but I sat for a few minutes and nothing came by. There was a trail coming from that little opening through the creek. Tomorrow we have a west wind and Im just trying to figure out if I should go in and scout around for a setup or leave it for now and go elsewhere.
ALLENTON.jpg

How did you enter that location?
How heavilyis that road used?

Scouted that point by red circles?
I would scout that spot for sure or hunt near it.

The northern bowl spot i would try on multiple winds.

Bedding may be under those lone trees.

From looking at your map I like the spot in that bowl the most.

I would throw sits at green circles on a wind out of the west, northwest.

Screenshot_20200916-084949_Painter.jpg
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 am

bcarey2 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Tomorrow we have a west wind and Im just trying to figure out if I should go in and scout around for a setup or leave it for now and go elsewhere

If you leave it for now and go elsewhere, by the time you come back, he may have left you and gone elsewhere too. Bring your bow, slowly scout your way in and when you find the sign you need just stop and kill him. If you bump him from his bed, at the very least you found his bed... If you don't find any sign of him, you eliminated ground where he is not.

Good point. I honestly wouldn't be mad if I bump him.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:13 am

bcarey2 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Tomorrow we have a west wind and Im just trying to figure out if I should go in and scout around for a setup or leave it for now and go elsewhere

Good point. I honestly wouldn't be mad if I bump him.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:14 am

What I see as potential bedding.
Zooming in the map really helped.
Screenshot_20200916-091335_Painter.jpg
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:18 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:chances are he is coming from one of those transition edges. Southwest and Southeast i like the southwest edges more.

Pink transition lines.
Red funnels.
Yellow bowl

ALLENTON.jpg

How did you enter that location?
How heavilyis that road used?

Scouted that point by red circles?
I would scout that spot for sure or hunt near it.

The northern bowl spot i would try on multiple winds.

Bedding may be under those lone trees.

From looking at your map I like the spot in that bowl the most.

I would throw sits at green circles on a wind out of the west, northwest.

Screenshot_20200916-084949_Painter.jpg

I entered right from the road. I parked a good 150yards north walked the road and cut in. After my sit, I noticed the road gets some traffic but not alot. I'll give it a shot, he's gotta be in there somewhere.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:20 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:What I see as potential bedding.

I was eyeing up those lone trees yesterday but not knowing for sure I didn't push in. Probably should have just thrown a sit at it
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:What I see as potential bedding.
Zooming in the map really helped.

What made you choose those trees?

(I'm Learning)
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”